We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

swiss pass

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
swiss pass

We will be arriving in Lucerne from Rome on Sunday June 24th and then leaving Lucerne on Tuesday June 26th for Wengen and departing on Friday June 29th. I was thinking about purchasing a swiss pass for 4 days mostly for use in the Jungfraujoch region with lifts, railways, etc. Also I know there is a jungfraubahnen pass that allows free travel on all lifts, rails, and 50% off jungfraujoch excursion. Which one would be better for us and given that today is Saturday June 16th and we leave for Rome on Wed June 20th, can I buy either of these passes once I arrive in Lucerne? Thanks, Tammi

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: swiss pass

I guess with that itnerary you travel cheaper if you buy a half fare card for 110 chf. On the Jungfraujoch you even get more discount (50%) than with the Swiss Pass (25%, free till Wengen). But you have to do math to know for sure. In case you haven't already bought your international train tickets it's better to get the pass in Italy to get the discount for the Swiss part of the train trip.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: swiss pass

I agree with Mube that typically the Half Fare Card is the most economical, particularly for your desired itinerary. I've done the math multiple times and it's always come up HFC.

You should be able to buy the HFC at any international train station in Italy so I'm assuming that will be one that you are departing from on your Rome to Lucerne journey. If for some reason they are not available there you can certainly buy one upon arrival at the station in Lucerne

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: swiss pass

Thank you both for your help. For some reasons when I was looking at the half fare card, I was on the SBB website and could only find the 1 yr/2yr half fare card which was expensive. I looked at a swiss website and found the half fare card valid for one month for 110 and that's probably what we will do.

Also, it's going to be cold at the Jungfraujoch! Should we plan on gloves and hat too?

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: swiss pass

Yes, www.swisstravelsystem.com has the one month HFC as do several other outlets.

Re: Jungfraujoch, if you want to spend time outside (particularly should you choose to do the walk to Mönchshütte and back) taking gloves and hats would be a good idea. And always take a wind- and water-proof shell anytime you go anywhere in the mountains.

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: swiss pass

Can I buy the half fare card when I get to Lucerne at the train station?

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: swiss pass

Yes. Here is a link to opening hours sbb.ch/en/…bahnhof-finden.posid.5000.html

Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: swiss pass

Do kids travel free or at a discount from child fare if parent uses half price card?

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: swiss pass

Isn't this question already answerd in one of your other posts?

Kids under 16 travel for free in Switzerland with their parents and a family (or junior) card. The family card is free when you buy a half fare card. Otherwise (eg. if they travel alone) they pay 50%. Children under 6 travel for free.

9. Re: swiss pass

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, June 20, 2013