We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for nice spot to stay in between Zurich and Wengen?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for nice spot to stay in between Zurich and Wengen?

We will be arriving in Zurich on August 10, 2012 at 7:00 am and traveling to Wengen to rent an apartment starting on the 11th. I am looking to find a place between Zurich and Wengen to stay that is close to Wengen the night before. I will be traveling with my husband and son(7 year old).

Just need a nice spot to stay before Wengen.

We have been to Wengen a few times prior to this trip and know it is remote so we hope to break up the trip after arriving from the United States because of our son.

Thanks for any advice anyone is able to give

canada
Level Contributor
7,588 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for nice spot to stay in between Zurich and Wengen?

I won´t call Wengen that remote, but with luggage, there are just too many changes of trains. You can consider Bern or Thun, Lucerne or Brienz. I think your criteria is probably the distance from the train station; and that there is something to do or see in the early evening.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,636 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for nice spot to stay in between Zurich and Wengen?

Since you have been to Wengen before you likely know that it is only a little over 3 hours from Zurich airport. With a 7:00 am arrival you could certainly be in Wengen by noon and stay at a hotel that day/night before moving into your apartment the next day.

But, as bofoster notes, there are many places you could stop along the way. Really depends on how far you want to travel after arriving from the US. Lucerne is only an hour from the airport and is a lovely city so that could be a good choice. It will be about 3 hours to Wengen the next day.

If you prefer to be on the direct route between Zurich and Wengen, you could stay in Bern. However, Bern is an hour 20 mins from Zurich so in another two hours or less you could get all the way to your destination.

If you don't want to do yet another leg of travel after your overnight flight you could just stay in Zurich.

Wherever you decide to end up you will get there sometime between mid-morning and noon.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
251 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for nice spot to stay in between Zurich and Wengen?

Bern and Lucerne are good choices. In Lucerne you could visit the traffic museum which my son (8 year) really liked, when we were there. The lake is nice for a boat trip. And there are a lot of hotels. (unfortunatley I'can't recommend one, because I never stayed over night.)

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
719 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for nice spot to stay in between Zurich and Wengen?

I suggest Lucerne.

The Swiss transport museum is really interesting for everyone, but likely nirvana for most young male children. You can pretend to drive a train! Sit in a big truck! Sail a model boat on real water! Etc.

And if that doesn't work with your timing, it is really fun to walk the ramparts and pretend to defend the city from enemies in the guard towers!

We always stay at the Hotel Tourist-they are right on the river near the said ramparts, relatively cheap, and have family rooms.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for nice spot to stay in between Zurich and Wengen?

Thank you for your suggestions. I apologize for not commenting again until now.

I love the idea of the Swiss transport museum. We have visited Lucerne in the past and found it lovely.

The main reason for making a stop is to break up part of the journey since we have a child.

It might make sense to go directly to Wengen.

Another question...has anyone visited Meringen? We thought of this as an option, but not sure if this makes sense to do.

Thank you again, for your suggestions and insight.

6. Re: Looking for nice spot to stay in between Zurich and Wengen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, June 22, 2013