We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which town before flight home?

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Which town before flight home?

I am still in the planning stages of planning our trip to Italy and Switzerland. We are planning to end our trip in Wengen, Switzerland, flying out of Zurich. The flight leaves at 12:55pm. Would you spend one night in Zurich to be close to the airport? Or would you just leave Wengen in the morning and catch trains to the Zurich airport. I think the train from Wengen to the Zurich airport would take about 3 hours. Did I read correctly somewhere that the Zurich train station is right at or at least really close to the airport? Thank you once again for information.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which town before flight home?

I think I would stay the last night in Wengen and just take an early train out in the morning. The airport station is right in the airport itself. You just have to go upstairs.

Here is the site for the train schedules. Just enter Wengen to Zurich airport.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which town before flight home?

Zurich train station is right in Zurich and the airport train station is right in the airport - they're about 15 minutes apart but make sure to select flughafen for airport or hauptbahnhof (hbf) for main city station.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which town before flight home?

Hi misah116,

You'll probably have to be at the airport about three hours before your flights, so that means you have to arrive at about 10.00.

There is a train that leaves Wengen at 06.42 and arrives at the airport at 09.50, which should be fine for you. This connection involves 4 changes.

However, if you want to sleep in a bit on your last morning, you could always spend your last night at Luzern -- you'll still be surrounded by beauty and a lake system. There are trains that leave Luzern at 08.10, arriving at the airport 09.15 (0 changes), and one that leaves Luzern at 08.35 and arrives at 09.46 (1 change).

Have fun as you plan!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which town before flight home?

I think it would be prudent to spend the last night in Zürich. IF you are here in the winter it is possible that trains might stop or be slowed by heavy snowfall. At all times of year there are, occasionally, power cuts on the railways which mean that traffic is interupted. This happens a couple of times a year but you would not want it to happen on the morning you are catching your flight.

If you are in economy, then you really do need to be at the airport 2 and a half hours ahead, at least. In Business you only need 90 mins. But this still means leaving Wengen early AND you have 4 trains to catch - Wengen to Lauterbrunnen, Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken Ost, Interlaken to Bern and Bern to Zürich airport which is about 15mins beyond Zürich's main station. One missed connection and again you are "up the creek!"

Zürich is a wonderful city with lots to see and do and a lovely and quite extensive old town. Take advantage of the chance to see it. Here is a link to a walking tour written by Oller, a DE for Zürich:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188113-i337-k42…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which town before flight home?

Thank you Everyone! You are all the best! I like the idea of staying in Luzern! All of Switzerland looks so beautiful! Again I am still in the planning stages. Sometimes I get worried about rain in Wengen spoiling our ability to hike and enjoy the scenery. Any advice? Should I just stick to my plan to stay in Wengen and hope for the best? Or should I pick a location more likely to get sun? Our tentative schedule right now is to fly into Rome, see Rome, Siena, and Florence. Catch the first train out of Florence to Wengen. Now it looks like at least a night (maybe more???) in Lucerne. Two years ago we went to northern Italy (Varenna, Venice, Siena, and the Cinque Terre). We loved every town. We fell in love with Siena and my husband really wants to go back to Siena. I love scenery and while flying over the Alps on our previous trip, looked down at them from the plane and wished that some day I could come back to see them. Now….my mind just worries about rain. So again, any advice is appreciated. Thank you again. Michelle

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,118 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which town before flight home?

Hi again,

I say -- dress for the possibility of rain, and GO for it!

You haven't said when you're going to Switzerland (or did I miss it??). The chances for rain are pretty high in April & May.

But just do as most folks do -- wear a raincoat and bring an umbrella, and don't let the wet stuff stop you. Wengen in the rain is still pretty, and if the clouds clear away for a few hours, you'll be very happy to be perched up there!

Have fun!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which town before flight home?

The question raised by S as to WHEN you will be here is important. If late April (after Easter) or May almost everything in Wengen will be closed. So get your reservation now - if you use the www.myjungfrau.ch site you can use their accomodation search engine, put in the dates and only those hotels that are open will show up.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which town before flight home?

Hello again! We have reservations at the Alpenrose for four nights beginning June 28. Hoping so much for sunny days!

France
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which town before flight home?

June 28 has a high chance of sunny weather, it's summertime by then even in the mountains. Any rain would normally be a quick shower rather than a big long lasting depression sitting over the area for days.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,663 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which town before flight home?

Don't know if I agree, Jon! here in the mountains when we get rain in the summer it seems to come in stretches of a week or more... then it clears and the weather is nice for another long stretch! A bit like the temperatures right now. We have had a very mild winter. Suddenly we have been hit by arctic air. Which is supposed to last until mid week next week... then back to normal again! In French we call this "un temps de traîne". And "traîne" it does...