We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wengernalp hike possible in may ?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
92 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
wengernalp hike possible in may ?

, We will be in interlaken in may first week next year. I would like to know if its possible to hike in wengernalp during May or will it most likely be covered in snow? Can anyone suggest good walking / easy hiking trails around this region... We basically want to see alpine meadows , wild flowers and greenery with alps in the backdrop.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
123 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wengernalp hike possible in may ?

When I was in this area from 21st May this year the whole area was covered in lush green grass and gorgeous wildflowers. The only snow was on the top of the highest mountains. I don't know what it would have been like in the first week of May. My friends and I walked from Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp via Biglenalp on one occasion, from Allmend to Wengernalp via Mettlenalp on another and from Allmend to Wengen on another. We also walked from Kleine Scheidegg to Alpiglen, from First to Lake Bachalpsee and from Winteregg to Murren and then down to Gimmelwald. We used trains and gondolas between these destinations. All were easy although I must say my legs muscles were very sore at the end of each day. Different muscles ache depending whether you have been walking up or down hill!

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
14,434 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wengernalp hike possible in may ?

Hi lov4travel

Unfortunately it is not possible to give ypou an answer actually as nobody can know how much snow we get this winter and if there will be new snow in April.

Actually there is absolutely no snow, which is very strange. It is very possible, that there will be some late in the season.

If the walks are closed, there will be signs. If there are, don't pass them, it could be dangerous. And how ever weather will be, wear good shoos and adequate clothing for your safety.

pore

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: wengernalp hike possible in may ?

Most times even if there is some snow left the main trail along the railroad from Wengen up to Wengenralp is passable. As the above posters say the weather is unpredictable but I was there two years ago when there was still three feet of snow at Kliene Scheidegg and the trail from Wengernalp down was doable. There were patches of snow but they were hard packed and easy to cross.

Other options in the area might be the trail on the other side of the valley from Griesalp to Murren. Wide well maintained trail with great views along the whole way. It's kept open as a winter walking trail so even if some snow remains it should be passable.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wengernalp hike possible in may ?

<the trail on the other side of the valley from Griesalp to Murren.>

Mountaintopper, I think you mean Grütschalp to Mürren. The Griesalp to Mürren path goes over the Sefinenfurgge pass and normally is not doable before July.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wengernalp hike possible in may ?

Right. My mistake. I did mean Grutchalp to Murren.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
92 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wengernalp hike possible in may ?

All of you , thanks so so much for your helpful insights. I may have to reconsider this hike since as Pore rightly pointed out ,this winter may be delayed.

Assuming its a delayed winter , i have 2 questions:

1) Will Lauterbrunnen - stechelberg walk be possible ?

2) Will beatenberg -Niederhorn hike be doable or this region also recieves heavy snow ?

I know its hard to tell , but its reassuring to hear any words of advice from experts.

thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
92 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wengernalp hike possible in may ?

@mountainhopper & @neuch :thanks for info about about Grutchalp to Murren.. i had no idea its open in winter as well

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: wengernalp hike possible in may ?

Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg is almost always open. Even if there is light snow. The valley floor is the first place for the snow to melt so your chances are good. The Neiderhorn on the other hand is about 6400 ft so if there is snow in the area it likely will still have some.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
92 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: wengernalp hike possible in may ?

thanks so much

10. Re: wengernalp hike possible in may ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:42 pm, June 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Wengen