We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Wengen

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
532 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Wengen

I looked at some of the posts, seems to me that outside of the big hotels, there are very few good dining places in Wengen. Is that accurate? Should we plan on eating in Interlaken every day before retiring to Wengen?

We are vegetarians, so I guess that limits our options considerably anyway

Skiset Wengen
Gift & Specialty Shops, Gear Rentals
Wengen Day Trips
Day Trips, Specialty Museums, Waterfalls, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Wengen

Just because the resturants are attached to the hotels doesn't mean you can't eat there. If you skip all the ones that are attached to hotels you will certainly miss a lot of good food.

The Sina is an Italian resturant in Wengen that is independent of a hotel.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Wengen

There are some stunning restaurants in Wengen that also happen to be attached to hotels. In addition to Pizzeria da Sina (which is excellent) you will find great food at:

Hotel Schönegg

Hotel Berghaus

The Caprice Hotel

The Eiger (which used to also be a hotel but now just the restaurant is open)

Hotel Bären

All of these restaurants are open to the public. There are also many vegetarians that visit Wengen and the restaurants are accustomed to this request. There are many items on menus that are vegetarian already.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
532 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Wengen

Great. Thanks mountaintopper and kimsanjose. This should be sufficient for a 4-5 day stay. Given the costs, I am guessing we would be having supermarket food some of the time anyway :)

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
578 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Wengen

Thanks, folks, and if I may refine this a little: We are narrowing down our choices for a hotel, and all three finalists offer half-board. Comments are favourable in all cases.

But my wife and I aren't big eaters when travelling and all these meals seem to be four or five courses of rich food.

How do the half-board prices (CHF 20-35 each) compare to having a smaller meal a la carte in the local restaurants?

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Wengen

A small ala carte meal is do-able in that price range. Perhaps a salad and a main course will be at the higher end of your range.

As you note, half board meals are usually multiple courses and, as such, offer great value for the money vs ala carte pricing if you would try to replicate such a thing.

IMO, the drawback to half-board is that you are eating in the same restaurant every night of your stay. That doesn't appeal to me.

Some hotels will allow you to do half-board only for a night or two vs your entire stay. Never hurts to ask.

New Westminster...
Level Contributor
578 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Wengen

Perfect, thanks.

7. Re: Restaurants in Wengen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 14, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Wengen