We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas in Wengren!

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Christmas in Wengren!

We are planning a three night stay at the Hotel Caprice. Any advise for a great Christmas meal? Adult daughter wants to ski one day does anyone have any advise for where to go. She is a college alpine racer here in the US, so she would like a bit of a challenge. Does anyone know how long of a drive it is to go to Geneva? Would the train be easier and faster? thanks in advance

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas in Wengren!

Hi schoonielake,

I'm really surprised that you got such a short stay at the Caprice -- at that time of year, I would expect they would only accept reservations of a week!

Anyway, I think the ski runs on the Schilthorn are the most challenging; I think one of them is called the "Suicide Piste" -- or at least that's what they told me as I went down it, well, not upright!

For your Christmas meal, try the restaurant at the Hotel Regina, which has some Gault Millau points, I think.

And finally, I always take the train in Switzerland -- get a picnic lunch at a grocery store and enjoy the scenery going by! Both Zurich and Geneva airports have an adjoining train station (and grocery stores!). Rail schedules at www.rail.ch. Road directions at www.mappy.com

Have fun!

s

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,971 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas in Wengren!

I second Swandav - the black route down from Schilthorn is very nice, especially if you do it without stops. The proiblem is that you would have to go down to Lauterbrunnen, up to Mürren and from there to Schilthorn.

A nearer option for you (from Wengen) is the Lauberhorn run - it was used in the ski world cup, I think it is not groomed in between but it is definitely marked. When you arrive in Wengen and buy your skiing ticket you will get the route and lift plan of the area - the Lauberhorn run is marked there as well.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas in Wengren!

Hi again,

Yes, I forgot about the Lauberhorn -- which is also the route of an annual ski race that your daughter probably knows about -- takes place in the middle of January. She could time herself against last year's resluts too. Information at www.lauberhorn.ch.

Also wanted to pass on the ski map -- go to http://www.wengen.com/index.html, and under the picture, click on "ski map."

Have fun!

s

Cedarburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas in Wengren!

thanks! I wil give her the ski info! Also the train option is sounding better all the time. We just are not understanding how easy the train is to get around. I am now having a devil of a time finding an e-mail address for hotel caprice. Expedia gave me one but it is not working. We are so excited about the trip and hope the weather is going to cooperate. Thanks again for the advise.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas in Wengren!

Hi Again,

Just go to the hotel's website (www.caprice-wengen.ch), and after you get the English version, click on "contact." FYI I think the e-mail address is hotel@caprice-wengen.ch.

Have a great trip!

s