We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss Rail to get to and From Wengen etc

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copthorne, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Swiss Rail to get to and From Wengen etc

Hi

My partner and I are going to Wengen in August. Having looked at the Swiss Railways site there appear to be a load of options to get to and from Wengen and then for travel once we're there.

We will want to do several trips once in the village including Schilthorn, Junfraughjoch, Interlaken and Grindelwald and I'm trying to work out the best option for a rail pass.

I think I've come down to either an 8 day Swiss Pass which is £179 for the two of us or a 5 day Flexi Pass at £166. Can anyone advise which is best please or tell me I'm totally wrong?

Also - I'm sure I've read in some of the forums that you can check your luggage in at Gatwick on the way out and then find it miraculously arriving in Wengen. I can't see this on the Swiss Railways web site. Can anyone shed any light on this please.

Thanks

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss Rail to get to and From Wengen etc

Hi Rob,

You can use Fly-rail baggage with selected airlines (don't think any of the low-costs, but Swiss and some others are OK). We've used it and it worked fine for us, our hotel even picked it up from the station for us.

I personally would get the 8-day Swiss pass if you are going for a whole week, don't forget the small print that if two of you buy the pass and always travel together you can both get 15% discount on the £179 price making it £152. It will give you 50% off the top-level cable cars like Schilthorn, but get you to Murren included. It also covers many museums, unlike the flexi which you can only use for museums on a validated day of use. It will give you total freedom and you'd be surprised how far you can go for a day-trip.

For a nice trip try Ballenberg museum at Brienz - take a train from Interlaken and then a bus from there. Its a Swiss open-air museum of old Swiss houses, farming, crafts, etc with real old houses which have been resited there, on a sunny day its a lovely place. You can go inside the houses many of which are traditionally furnished and have fires burning, and staff working on traditional crafts. Its like a mini tour of all the traditional architecture of Switzerland in one small area.

http://www.ballenberg.ch/en/Welcome - watch the film clip

Manchester
Level Contributor
169 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss Rail to get to and From Wengen etc

Here's a link to all the museums included in the ticket and it looks like Ballenberg is in there ;o)

http://www.museum-pass.ch/e/museum-list.pdf

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,069 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss Rail to get to and From Wengen etc

Hi CrawleyRob,

Yes, it's a tough problem to determine the very best Pass, if any, to buy. There's just no way to avoid doing the math if you want the figures to be correct. And, I wonder if you know that neither Pass will give you free travel to the Schilthorn and the Jungfraujoch. They will get you as far as Mürren and as far as Wengen, then they will give you a discount for the rest of the journey.

I've found that the Half Fare Card is the one that gives me the most economical travel. It costs 99 chf per person, then you pay half of every fare for almost everything that moves while in Switzerland.

Good luck!

s

4. Re: Swiss Rail to get to and From Wengen etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, September 06, 2009