We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

Which Wengen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

Hi, my wife and I will be arriving in Switzerland in June for our honeymoon which includes a 5 day stay in Wengen (arriving June 24th). We have the following rough itenerary and I'd appreciate any tips - i.e. is it all possible in the time we have, have i missed any trips out that we shouldn't miss, are any of the trips we have planned not worth the effort etc...

Day 1 - Arrive at hotel (Beausite Park) late afternoon. Settle into hotel and have a wander around the village.

Day 2 - Early train to Jungfraujoch. Afternoon boat on Lake Thun, possibly with a stop to visit beatus caves.

Day 3 - Early(ish) trip to Schilthorn, lunch at Piz Gloria. Visit Trummelbach falls in afternoon, followed by trip to Shynige Platte.

Day 4 - Undecided - probably a nice walk, 3-4 hours but not too strenuous!

Day 5 - Undecided - possibly take a scenic flight, or do an activity, or possibly visit Mt Titlis

Any tips will be much appreciated!

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

You could visit the Grandhotel Giessbach, on Brienzersee, for lunch on the terrace, and to see the waterfalls. Take the train to Interlaken Ost, and change to Brienz (on the route to Luzern). At Brienz, catch a lakeboat for the short (12 minutes) ride across to Giessbach. Ride a funicular up to the hotel. The waterfalls are a short walk beyond. To redurn, you can take the boat continuing in the clockwise direction on the lake back to Interkaken, or wait for one going back to Brienz for the train, or you could walk from Giessbach along the lake to Iseltwalt, a take a bus to Interlaken from there.

www.giessbach.ch/en/the_grandhotel/about.php

Other things to do near Brienz are the Rothorn steam train excursion, and the Ballenberg museum (Swiss culture).

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

Another thought---Day 3 is a little crowded; each of the trips is worth more time than you will have if doing them all in one day. Maybe move Schynige Platte to Day 4 and make that your walk---there is a nice trail (Panoramaweg) that heads along the ridge top with glorious views out both sides (from various points). You could walk that for an hour or so, then turn and head back. (The entire walk to First above Grindelwald takes about 6 hours, but you can get a good taste of the scenery in 2 or 3).

Other pleasant, non-strenuous wlaks---from the top of the Mannlichen lift (take from Wengen) to Kleine Scheidegg; and from Grutschalp (top of the lift from Lauterbrunnen on the way to Mürren) to Mürren. Also from Stechelberg (bottom of theSchilthorn lift) to Lauterbrunnen, along the riverside path. This is a valley walk that is pleasant even in the rain (with rain jackets).

But I hope it won't rain on your honeymoon!

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
612 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

Johnifg, I agree that day 3 is too packed for you to do. By all means take the trip to Schilthorn followed by the trip to Trummelbach Falls. I would then consider taking the train from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen and the cablecar up to Mannlichen. This is a lovely walk which will bring you to Kleine Scheidegg at the foot of the Eiger. From here you can take the train back to Wengen.

Have a great honeymoon, and I hope the weather is kind for you both.

Regards

John.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

Thanks for the tips Enzian + John, and for the kind wishes about the weather! I was a bit concerned day 3 might be overcrowded so I think we'll move the trip to Shynige Platte to the next day and do a walk from there as Enzian suggested.

Cheers

John

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

I admire your stamina. Most people find the Jungfrau trip enough for a day. I suggest that you don't try to fit in Lake Thun as well.

From the Beausite to Jungfrau will take about 2 hrs with the walk to the station and a change at Kleine Scheidegg. Up there you can easily spend 3 hours without getting bored at all, then it's half an hour or so back to Kleine Scheidegg. If you leave the hotel at 8am this gets you back to KS for lunch about 1 - 2 pm, this is an idyllic spot. Take the train down and walk through the village, this will get you back to the hotel in time for a quick swim before dinner.

We found that a trip on Lake Thun plus the beatus caves was a full day, similarly Shynige Platte.

A good walk from Wengen is to take the cable car to Mannlichen and walk along to Kleine Scheidegg. There may well be snow on the ground at the top at the end of June. another possibility is to take the train to lauterbrunnen, then walk along the valley to trummelbach. This is about enough, then take the bus to the cable car, go up one section to Gimmelwald and walk around. carry on up to Murren then walk back to Grutschalp, stopping at Winteregg for refreshment. Finish with the new cable car down to lauterbrunnen and the train back up to Wengen.

I suggest that you look at a 6 day local (Jungfrau railways) pass. This covers all but the top sections to jungfrau and Schilthorn.

Birmingham, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

I've looked it up - it's 1 and a half hours on the train from Wengen to Jungfrau, so the 2 hrs figure from your hotel is about right. It's really difficult to see everything in a full day when you get there, but if you miss out the glacier walk, the golf, the skiing, the tobogganning, food then you can probably get around in 2 hrs.

Piz Gloria is fine for coffee but why not find somewhere smaller and more Swiss for lunch? This trip has quite a few tourist spots but very little of Switzerland, in 5 days you can really get to see some of the local country. Try going up Allmendhubel from Murren and walking around there. For your walking day there's a cafe near Wengen called 'Marys cafe'. It's at the end of the Lauberhorn race track. This is a fairly easy walk.

I think that there's too much in the Jungfrau area to spend a day going to Titlis.

Wellington, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

Excellent advice! The only things I would add are:

Be flexible with what you do on which day. Be guided by the weather - there is no point on going up to jungfraujoch on a cloudy day - go to Trummelbach.

Don't try and do too much - you will be back (Wengen is one of Europe's best kept secrets) - relax and enjoy what you have time to do & see.

Another wet weather idea - if there is no curling, you can ice skate at the sports centre in the middle of Wengen. There are no set times you just have to ask if the rink is available. On our last visit we spent a very wet afternoon skating (or rather trying!). We were told it was quite busy - there was one family of four! Great fun.

I hope you have a great holiday!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

In the summer I think the ice rink is a tennis court.

Wellington, England
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

The large outside rink is a tennis court, but they have a smaller covered area which they use in the summer for curling (or at least they have in previous years). Sadly I have never been to Wengen in the winter - we were skating in August!

It isn't a huge area, but I found it large enough to make a fool of myself!! The Swiss don't seem to advertise it anywhere - I suspect because it is often booked for curling. Still worth a try on a wet day!

Seattle
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itenerary for 5 days in Wengen in late June

Do they rent out skates there? Or must one bring his own?