We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

Are the Edelweiss and Alpina the only hotels with unimpeded views of the mountains. Since I visited Murren a few years ago, I have wanted to come back and stay at a hotel hanging off the cliff. What is your opinion? Thanks.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

If you can get a room facing the mountains the Palace Hotel (it may have changed it's name by now) would have superb views. It's the big hotel near the station in Murren.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

Chalet Boebs is an apartment but has unimpeded views of the Eiger, the Schwarzmonch and part of the Jungfrau, as well as other mountains around to the south and southwest. The views are to die for.

http://boebs.ch/en/

tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g188084-d189…

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

Thanks for the information. We still have time to research because our trip is not until September 2014. Both of the places you recommend look great. is the Alpin Palace on the cliff side or across the street. How big we're the balconies? Thanks. I will consider these lodgings.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

The Alpin Palace is on the cliff side, since it's a while since I stayed there and we didn't have a balcony I can't say with any great accuracy but I would think there would be room for a small table or at least chairs.

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

Thanks. I will look into these places.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

Did you enjoy staying in Murren?

We are going there in early October but I'm worried it's a bit further from everything than Wengen, Grindelwald.

Are there many restaurants to eat at or a supermarket to buy food from?

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

We haven't gone yet. We are planning ahead and trying to decide for sure where to stay. I still think I want a place on the edge with no buildings in the view.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

You said in your orgiginal message that you stayed in Murren a few years ago? How was it?

Anderson, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,177 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

I visited. We stayed in Brienz. We went to Wengen once and Murren twice. Loved both places and vowed to come back and actually stay in a place that hung over the edge. I know people don't recommend it, but we are going to stay several nights in Murren and a couple of nights in Wengen.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lodging with best view of Jungfrau region

Mbruce - Chalet Boebs doesn't have a balcony, but there is a sort of terrace outside the apartment which is quite large - probably 5m x 5m. I sat out there in the sun on a plastic chair and watched the mountains, the paragliders and the cable car.

Helsbels - Murren has one supermarket which is closed on Sundays. There is a little bakery which is open Sundays. As we had an apartment with cooking facilities, we ate in. There are a couple of restaurants in Murren, and a cheap backpackers restaurant in Gimmelwald (a leisurely half hour's walk downhill, but take the cable car back up!) We were there in early June and not everything was open, so there is likely more there than what we saw.

We loved Murren. Plenty of great walking, fantastic views, not too touristy (at least not in early June!). We visited Wengen and Grindelwald and were very happy that we weren't staying there. Much larger towns. Murren has a village feel to it. Getting around is half the fun. From Lauterbrunnen, you can use the bus and cable car, or the cable car and mountain train. Both are great. If we go back, I'd choose Murren again.