We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome to Murren

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Topic
Rome to Murren

Should I make reservations/get tickets in advance for travel from Rome to Murren? From what I understand, we'll have to go from Rome to Milan. I found ticket info on http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html but I'm not sure if we should make reservations before we get to Rome. We arrive Rome on July 8, and are hoping to depart for Murren on July 13. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rome to Murren

Hi, you'll be fine to wait until you arrive in Rome. On your first or second day there, go to the station and make your reservations (they are required in Italy but not in Switzerland so try to no let them sell you a reservation for the Swiss trains!).

Hope this helps.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,229 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rome to Murren

I would actually buy my ticket and reserve seats Rome to Milan AND Milan to Mürren via Brig right now on the Trenitalia site. They have 3 levels of fares depending on the train occupancy and the Frecchiarossa trains (the high speed expresses) get full! very full in fact and you cannot get on without a seat reservation. Booking now means you have a chance at getting a "Mini" fare and thus saving money.

Hopefully you can get a train that is going on to Basel from Milan and this will allow you to have one less change as you will not need to get off before Spiez. If the train is headed for Geneva than you have to change in Brig and again in Spiez, Interlaken Ost and Lauterbrunnen.

Oklahoma City
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Rome to Murren

Thanks. One issue, we are a group of 6 and I can't seem to find a way to purchase that many tickets/reservations on Trenitalia's site. Any tips?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,381 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rome to Murren

For a group, I would book ahead. However, I don't find a way to book for 6 on Trenitalia. There doesn't seem to be an email address for Trenitalia so you would have to call them but I don't see an international number on their website. You could just book a couple of small groups but then you might have a problem with the seats not being together. It might be easiest to use Rail Europe here in the US but they are notorious for charging extra fees and for having higher prices. I use either Rick Steves or a company called Gemut when I have to buy here

www.ricksteves.com

www.gemut.com

Either one can book your tickets from Rome to Murren and they will help you to find the best prices - neither seems to look for the price that gives them the largest commission!

5. Re: Rome to Murren

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 30, 2013