We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pass Question

Which Murren hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Valrico, Fl
2 posts
Save Topic
Pass Question

I will be staying in Muerren for 4 days in June. During that time I will be visiting the Schilthorn, Jungfrau, Interlaken and several small towns. I will have a Selectpass which gives me a 25% discount on transportation in the area. I have also read about the Bernard Oberland pass which offers good discounts. If I already get 25% is it worth it to buy the BO pass? Also what is the cost to use the different transportation in that area? For example to go to the Schilthorn in the morning and then Interlaken later in the day. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Southern Maryland...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pass Question

I returned from Switzerland and southern France just 25 Sep 2004, and had a 22-day Swiss Saver Pass. If you are traveling with one or more people in a group, the Swiss have a number of discounted "2 or more" passes. We stayed in Murren for six days, and also in Lucerne and Montreux.

Europe rail system can be very confusing. I originally was going to rent a car at Zurich airport until I realized you can only reach Murren (and other Jungfrau towns) by rail (from Lauterbrunnen) or ski cable car (Stechelberg-Gimmelwald-Murren- Schilthorn Peak). I would have not only paid for a car I couldn't use, but would have had to pay to park it as well! So we went by rail instead. My Swiss Pass covered 100% of the Lauterbrunnen (valley floor) to Murren trip, and the cable-car from Stechelberg to Murren. Cost from Murren to Schilthorn peak is $ 90 extra (yes, ninety $ RT!), for which I got half off with my Swiss Pass. You'll definitely want to do this 007 Schilthorn RT, so factor in this cost. Most of the swiss railways (there are at least 10 of them) are covered by the Swiss Pass. Special runs like Schilthorn cable car, the Jungfrau "top-of-Europe" train ($ 200), the special Chocolate Train, Golden Pass, etc. are all EXTRA cost. So you need to plan out where you expect to stay and travel to in Switzerland.

We saved a lot of $$ with the Swiss Pass. We had no car at all in Switzerland, and traveled comfortably by train from Zurich to Lucerne to Murren to Montreux, to Geneva. Note that the Swiss pass also covers BUSES, TROLLEYs, most LAKE STEAMERS, as well as discounts on some of the smaller specialized railways not part of the Swiss system. So it's a good deal. (Tip: Pack light as dragging heavy suitcases on and off trains, and between different tracks (the European stations have lots of tracks -- sometimes 20 or more) to switch trains can be tiresome).

You can get rail passes directly from the countries involved or from RailEurope. I'm not familiar with the SelectPass you quoted other than it's a RailEurope multi-country one. You can Google Swiss Railways or France Railways to get pass info. My Swiss pass was ordered via the web, and mailed from their U.S.A. office promptly. We took a high-speed French TGV train from Avignon to Geneva which was also very nice and reasonably priced over the web ($ 70 First Class for a 3-hour trip) -- so the French system is also very good. To get an idea of pass savings, our 3-hour trip from Geneva back to Zurich was covered on the 22nd day of our rail pass ($ 267 each), and would have cost $ 64 each without the pass. We saved $ 90 together just on the Schilthorn daytrip.

Taiwan
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Pass Question

i also need some info regarding this.

I have to stay in murren area for about 3 days.i will have eurail pass. Murren to schilthorn and Jungfrau is same with swiss pass and eurail pass then would you guys recommend swiss pass if i already have eurail pass.

I need to know i have to move around in Murren like near by places or some water falls. or go to lauterbrunnen,grindlewand, wengen then would that all be covered in eurail pass or it would be extra money if yes then any idea how much.

Please suggest