We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Trail Suggestions

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Topic
Hiking Trail Suggestions

Hello everyone,

I will be in Murren this coming week and I would like to do some hiking.

Can anyone suggest me some good hiking trails? I prefer easy/moderate longish/day hike but anything shorter is fine.

Also, hows the weather been lately in around Murren? I'm currently traveling around Europe and I've been getting a lot of rain!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Guelph
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Trail Suggestions

I did a really lovely hike from Lauterbrunnen to Isenfluh. It was paved the entire way, so reasonably easy. It was uphill most of the way, but I find going uphill makes me much less sore the next day than going downhill does.

It was through forest with waterfalls along the way and sometimes a view down into the valley. It probably is supposed to take you about an hour, but it probably took me 1.5 hours.

If you want a longer hike, you can continue past Isenfluh and hike up to Sulwald. The trail gets much more difficult though, and for this trail you should probably have hiking shoes and poles because it is not paved.

Alternately, you could take the gondala from Isenfluh up to Sulwald and then do some more hiking around there. I've heard that there is a very nice lake to hike to, though I didn't actually see it myself.

Edited: 1:16 pm, September 11, 2011
W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Trail Suggestions

If you want to avoid the paved portion of the above hike just take the lift to Grutchalp and walk over to Sulwald on the wooded trail. Fairly easy and has good scenery.

The most popular hike in the area would also start at the Grutchalp station and follow the fairly flat path south through Winteregg to Murren. About 1 1/2 hrs with great scenery.

If you want something a little more difficult but very rewarding try the trail from Murren past the Schilthorn hut and on up to the top of the Schilthorn. About 4 1/2 hrs of uphill hiking but a great views the whole way and you save the expensive lift ticket to the Schilthorn.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
166 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking Trail Suggestions

A nice circle that we did (starting and ending in Lauterbrunnen instead of Murren but that doesn't really matter) would be hiking from Murren down through Gimmelwald to Stechelberg, through the Lauterbrunnen Valley to Lauterbrunnen, lift up to Grutchalp, then through Winteregg to Murren. Great views the entire way and each section of the hike is quite different, down to Stechelberg you have some views of the mountains then head into the forest passing several waterfalls, then through the valley with the steep cliffs on either side and lots of waterfalls, then hiking back across to Murren with great views of the mountains.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking Trail Suggestions

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm taking a note of all this trails :) Is it safe to do any of this hike alone especially the Schilthorn as it seems to be the most strenuous?

Cheers

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,939 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking Trail Suggestions

All of the hikes would be safe to do alone as long as you are physically fit and don't take undue chances. On the Schiilthorn route you if you decide it's more than you bargained for or you run into bad weather you can stop at the Berg station about 1 hr 15 min from the top. Also in case of bad weather the Schilthorn hut offers shelter, hot food, and restrooms.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking Trail Suggestions

No worries about hiking alone on any of these trails but, as you note, the Schilthorn trail is definitely the most strenuous. MountainTopper is a total hiking stud and can do things many mere mortals can't. :-)

All the previous suggestions are great, here are some other ideas for easy hiking from a Mürren base. I am clipping and pasting this from a document that uses Wengen as base; simply substitute Mürren for Wengen in the travel instructions.

1. Lauterbrunnen to Wilderswil, optional to Interlaken. This is a lovely walk that parallels the river from Lauterbrunnen to Wilderswil and also covers some beautiful forested areas. This path is in two stages, both approximately 3 miles in length and on flat terrain. The first stage, Lauterbrunnen to Zweilütschinen, starts right at the Lauterbrunnen train station. Follow the signs to the Parking Garage and WCs east of the station and you’ll come upon the trail signs direction Zweilütschinen and Wilderswil. At the very beginning, there is a short descent over a path that can be a bit muddy and a wee bit steep but quickly puts you out onto a very wide, well-maintained Wanderweg. This stage of the trail follows directly along the river through a lovely forest; you will also see a fish ladder about half way on.

Once you reach Zweilütschinen you can catch the train back to Wengen or press on for the second stage: Zweilütschinen to Wilderswil. (Alternatively, of course, you can take the train from Lauterbrunnen to Zweilütschinen and pick up the trail here.) The local train companies have done visitors yet another favor by constructing a lovely “Nature und Bahn” (loosely translated: “Nature and Railway”) path on this stretch. Cross the train tracks at the north end of the Zweilütschinen station and look for the signs direction Wilderswil and Nature und Bahn trail. This stage is also about 3 miles (flat) and passes through more forested area and the charming village of Gsteigwiler. Admire the beautiful woodwork on the homes and the lovely gardens in town, then continue on the Nature und Bahn trail (Note: there are a number of other paths that also lead to Wilderswil, but the Nature und Bahn trail is the most easily navigated. It is well marked, just look for the special signs.). At the end of the walk, you will cross over the river via a covered bridge and enter the town of Wilderswil. There are many good restaurant choices in this area if you’re ready for lunch. You can catch the train at Wilderswil back to Wengen.

The Nature und Bahn trail ends in Wilderswil but, if you’re ready for more, pick up the trail to Interlaken across the street from the train station in Wilderswil. A short walk of 45 minutes will put you in town, where you can browse the shops, stop for lunch, and catch the train back to Wengen.

2. The Planetenweg. A gorgeous walk along Lake Brienz provides a different perspective than the mountain walks. Take the train from Wengen to Interlaken Ost. Walk west from the train station and cross the river over the first bridge you come to (just before the Hotel Beau Rivage). Pick up the Planetenweg trail here and follow it as long as you like. You will pass through a number of villages: Ringgenberg, Niederried, Oberried, and ultimately Brienz. Each village has good lunch stops and train, bus or – better yet – boat access back to Interlaken.

3. Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. This starts on the opposite side of the valley but is a 100% DO NOT MISS hike if you have reasonably good weather. This is likely the most stunning of the easy hikes. It is about 3 miles long with a gentle downhill descent on a very wide path. The views of the Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau are breathtaking and visitors in July and August will likely see carpets of wildflowers. Start out by training to Wengen via Lauterbrunnen. Then take the gondola (“Luftseilbahn”) from the center of Wengen up to Männlichen. The gondola runs every 20 minutes and the trip to the top takes about 7 minutes (half fare cards apply). From there, catch the trail down to Kleine Scheidegg, and don’t miss the Apfelkuchen mit Rahm (apple cake with cream) once you get there! Take the train from Kleine Scheidegg back down to Wengen.

4. For a more aggressive hike, do Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg:

This is a perfect first day hike for those that are reasonably fit. It is moderately strenuous – about 2600 feet of vertical and 6 or 7 miles – and the views are spectacular. See pictures-switzerland.com/klscheidegg/index.h… for some marvelous photos of Kleine Scheidegg and some of the views from there.

There are three different routes: high, center, and low, which should be clear on a trail map or ask at the tourist office. I like the center one the best as you go through lots of different terrains, but they are all nice. You will see good views of Mürren across the valley. In the last half of the hike you will have great views of the glaciers crowning the Eiger massif (left to right, the Eiger, the Mönch, and the Jungfrau).

Kleine Scheidegg is the traditional base camp for Eiger ascents. This is also where all the trains going to the Jungfraujoch (pronounced “YOONG-frow-yock”) change so it is swarming with tourists changing trains and buying T-shirts. But don’t be put off by all the touristy-looking stuff – the food here is just fantastic and is your reward for a nice hike! Sit at the long communal tables by the tracks at Restaurant Bahnhof (www.bahnhof-scheidegg.ch/default.asp…) and order either the wurst and rösti (a Swiss national dish that is basically the best hash browns you’ve ever eaten) that are being prepared outdoors or something off of the extensive menu They have some of the best salads in the country– huge bowls of fresh local vegetables in the green salads and an amazing array of fresh fruits, nuts, and vegetables in the “Half-Pipe Salate”. Other menu choices include hamburgers, the ubiquitous cheese and dried meat plates, schweinschnitzel (pork schnitzel), and so on. Everything is great except the sauerkraut. Do not leave here without having an Apfelkuchen mit Rahm (apple cake with whipped cream – don’t skip the cream!) and, if they have it, the Grande Nussini, which is a cookie that’s like a cross between shortbread and biscotti and loaded with hazelnuts, pistachios, and sometimes pecans (you usually have to go inside the restaurant to find one, and consider yourself lucky if they’ve made any that day).

A large herd of very tame goats has taken up residence at Kleine Scheidegg. They have no qualms about walking/standing on the tracks and it’s not unusual to see trains stop and the conductors come out to shoo them off. They are also quite the beggars.

We prefer to take the train back to Wengen since we don’t like hiking down. Trains run about every 20 minutes. Another option if you still have energy is to hike up to Männlichen and return to Wengen by gondola (Luftseilbahn).

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking Trail Suggestions

I'd like to thanks everyone again for their advice.

I did the circle that rlse9 suggested, it was pretty cloudy when I did the hike and got worst as the day went by but it was a beautiful hike nonetheless.

The next day the weather was complete opposite, it was a nice clear sunny day so I decided to do the Schilthorn hike. I was really amazed by the beautiful landscape as I climbed up, I had to stopped so many times to snapped photos and soak in the views. I decided to take the lift down just for the "experienced" and the fact that I did not have trekking poles with me but to be honest I kinda regretted that decision and wish I just hike down as well.

On my 3rd day, I walked around the Lauterbrunnen Valley again since the weather was much better compare to the first time I did the "circle" hike. I then went to Interlaken and bike in Lake Brienz area, there was a lot of uphill and it was getting late so I only made it all the way to this village (I forgot the name") before heading back, then cop stopped me for not having a light on my bike when it was already getting dark and made me walk :( good thing I was only about 20 mins away from the rental place.

The next day was long my train ride from Interlaken all the way to Vienna. The scenery during the train ride was so beautiful!

I would love to come back to Switzerland again and spend more days next time around!

Cheers everyone

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking Trail Suggestions

Hello Experts,

I will be also in Jungfrau do some hiking next week. Since we only have two days. Would like take Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg one day and the round trip the other day. Just wondering at this time, for the round trip which route is better to chose among the three, the mountain trail Crutschalp-Allmendhubel-Murrent,

the middle rount Crutschalp-Winteregg-Murren, or the valley waterfall trail. will snow be a problem for the mountain trail at the first week of Oct?

This is my first real hiking in mountains. Really looking forward to it.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hiking Trail Suggestions

I can't comment specifically on which of those hikes is best, but snow will definitely not be a problem. I was up at 3,000 metres three days ago and there was hardly any snow... and these hikes are more than a thousand metres lower down.

The weather forecast for next week is for summer weather from now till at least Tuesday, probably turning rainy on Wednesday afternoon... so make the most of the first half of the week for outdoor activities !

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hiking Trail Suggestions

As it is your first experience I would go for the Grutschalp-Winteregg- Murren hike as it is so spectacular, yet very easy walking. Walking towards Murren you will see wonderful views of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau mountains.

Should it be raining,then go for the valley waterfall hike instead.