We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Eiger

Which Murren hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
JT1
Monifieth Scotland
2 posts
Save Topic
The Eiger

Hi to all experienced hikers, which I am not.

However my father will be 70 in July and has always wanted 'stand at the foot of the North Face of the Eiger' I think he put it.

This may be a totally ridiculous scenario for non experienced climbers but can anyone point me in the right direction?

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
5,772 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Eiger

The 'Eiger Trail' should satisfy his desire!

For more information see:-

jungfraubahn.ch/en/…

Happy hiking.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Eiger

Here is another web page with a profile map and GPS coordinates titled "Under the Eiger North Wall".

geocities.com/activityworkshop/…eiger.html

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Eiger

It should be no problem if he is fit at all. You can take the train (the Wengernalp Bahn) from either the Lauterbrunnen/Wengen side or the Grindelwald side up to Kleine Sheidegg which sits at the foot of the Eiger and the Monch. The Eiger trail is an easy walk, mostly gently downhill from KS to Alpiglen,the first train station toward Grindelwald, where you can catch the train going either direction.

If you are up for a bit more easy walking I would recommend starting your whole adventure in Wengen, taking the cablecar up to Mannlichen and walking down the easy but extremely picturesque trail to Kleine Scheidegg. You can see the Eiger the entire length of the trail and it is an easy walk with benches placed along the way if you need to rest or just want to enjoy the views.It's about an hour and fifteen minutes walking.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
8,318 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Eiger

Yes, a great description mountaintopper. It's an unforgetable landscape in that area. JT1 - Murren is a super location in which to stay. But, if the main focus of your trip is the Eiger, then Grindelwald (busier than Murren though) could be the place to stay. From your Grindelwald accomodation balcony, the Eiger is 'in your face' right there.

Boston and...
Level Contributor
3,720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Eiger

Suggest that you take all the above advice, and that you make an effort to go out fairly early in the morning, as in July, the Eiger's face can often be covered by cloud in the afternoon. It can be frustrating to be so near, and then not see it. The Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk is one of the most magnificent in the world, as is the ride just to get to it. And so is the view from Schynige Platte, which you can get to directly by cog rail from the valley floor.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Eiger

I think it was Chris Bonnington, the British mountaineer, who when walking to the base of the Eiger to climb the North face, spotted a human hand on the ground. He didn't mention this to his companion as he thought it might upset him but after they had completed the climb he discovered that he had seen it too!

I have climbed part of the north face. I managed approximately eight of the 5,000 feet before shaking with fear and turning back.

From Grindelwald the whole of the face is visible in clear weather and, with a good pair of binoculars, you can sometimes sit in the comfort of your hotel or chalet and watch people climbing thousands of feet above you.

Arizona
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Eiger

Why not stay at Kleine Scheidegg, Bellevue Hotel for 1 night anyway)? It's about as close to the foot of the Eiger as you're going to get - www.scheidegg-hotels.ch. He wouldn't have to hike at all.

Grindelwald is also a very impressive place to see the Eiger from - if you have a few days I'd base there for most of the trip and spend 1 night at Kleine Scheidegg.