We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jungfrau region: where to base my visit? Murren? Grindelwald

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Topic
jungfrau region: where to base my visit? Murren? Grindelwald

I want to visit the jungfrau region. Originally I was going to stay in lucern for a day, lauterbrunnen, murren for a day, Grindelwald for 2 days. However, I realized that since we won't have a car we don't want to carry our luggage after hotel check-out, so we want to pick one hotel to stay at and take a train everywhere.

I want to:

See the sights in Lauterbrunnen Valley

Lauterbrunnen (Jungfrau) hike

Jungfraujoch (highest mtn) and glacier $166/pp 2:16hr

Can I do everything while staying in a hotel in Murren? Or is Lauterbrunnen Valley a more convenient place to stay? Thanks all.

BTW after jungfrau we will head to zermatt.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,220 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jungfrau region: where to base my visit? Murren? Grindelwald

Hi colatravel,

What time of year will this be? If it's summertime, avoid Grindelwald too, as it also fills up with tour busses and off-loaded passengers.

All of these towns & villages are within about 20 minutes of one another by train, so yes you can easily get all around the valley from any one of them. Travel time from Mürren to Lauterbrunnen is only 24 minutes. I personally don't like Lauterbrunnen because of the cliffs that overhang the village (they would seriously depress me), but others don't notice them or think they are charming. I also think that staying in a car-free village has a special atmosphere and ambiance that is unique, well worth experiencing.

Finally, I do like to stay as high in the mountains as I can get -- !!

s

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
142 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jungfrau region: where to base my visit? Murren? Grindelwald

I would prefer Wengen over Murren. For most of the trips, for train connections, u have to reach Lauterbrunnen which is 15 min train journey from Wengen. From Murren u will have to take either Cable car to Stechelberg then bus to Lauterbrunnen or train to Grutscalp, then cable car to Lauterbrunnen (which is not frequent/ available in the late hours).

So for making frequent day trips to other places, I Would prefer the car free village of Wengen.

Edited: 4:55 am, June 21, 2011
W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jungfrau region: where to base my visit? Murren? Grindelwald

In order of my preference I would stay in:

Wengen

Lauterbrunnen

Murren

Based on overall experience, travel convenience, etc.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: jungfrau region: where to base my visit? Murren? Grindelwald

Wow, thanks. I didn't even consider Wengen. I will look into it.

5. Re: jungfrau region: where to base my visit? Murren? Grindelwald

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 am, October 02, 2012