We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow in Murren

Which Murren hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Snow in Murren

Hi,

My husband and I are planning to stay in Murren for 4 nights in the first week of October 2011. I know weather is unpredictable, and I would expect it to be very cold but are we likely to see it snow in Murren. Have looked on a couple of websites and it has shown the average temperatures but I am unsure of what the snow situation will be.

We are Queenslanders (Australia) and have never seen snow in our lives!

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow in Murren

Not sure about Murren but there are lot of places around Murren where you should be able to see snow in October.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,178 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow in Murren

Depends what you mean by "see"!!

If you mean will there be snow on the ground in Mürren and can we walk around in it? In early October most likely not, though it is possible to have a snowfall in the mountains in any month of the year. If you mean "can we see snow on the mountains around Mürren" - most definitely yes. There is year-round snow on the Jungfrau massif, and you have a great view of this from Mürren. In fact if you take teh train up to the Jungfraujoch you can walk in the snow up there.

Australia
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow in Murren

Thank you so much for your replies. Murren looks so beautiful. We can't wait to get there. I love these forums. The information in them is so helpful.

Omaha, Nebraska
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow in Murren

We are planning on staying in Murren/Gimmewald area OCT 1,2, 3 -

would love to be able to ride bike down to valley and also do what my son described as THE BEST HIKE EVER in that area - again I realize snow can come at any time in the mountains - we have been to the mountains in Colorado often - but curious if chance are pretty good hiking and biking trails will be snow free that first week of Oct. So excited to celebrate my 58th bday there!

Omaha, Nebraska
9 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow in Murren

We are planning on staying in Murren/Gimmewald area OCT 1,2, 3 -

would love to be able to ride bike down to valley and also do what my son described as THE BEST HIKE EVER in that area - again I realize snow can come at any time in the mountains - we have been to the mountains in Colorado often - but curious if chance are pretty good hiking and biking trails will be snow free that first week of Oct. So excited to celebrate my 58th bday there!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,178 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow in Murren

With snow there is no certainty. Only the likelihood that in October it will snow up high - above 2500m. And might snow down low - as low as 1500m. We don't know until the day or two before.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow in Murren

As the others have said there can never be any guarantee with regard to the weather but it would be highly unlikely that there would be snow on the ground in Murren during the week of October 1st. It would be even less likely that the bike trail down to Lauterbrunnen would be effected. The trail down should be a good spot to observe the fall color in the area at that time of the year. September and October are often very good times for clear skies, good photos etc although the temperatures are starting to go down. Also some of the accomodations and attractions in the village may be starting to close down for the shoulder season.

Omaha, Nebraska
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow in Murren

Thank you so much - we are so excited to visit the Swiss Alps!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
34,178 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow in Murren

Mountaintopper - we have had snow in Verbier, which is lower than Murren, in every single month of the year, including June, July and August! I agree it is unusual to have snow at this level in early October but it is perfectly possible. Generally though when an isolated snowfall occurs either early or late in the season it doesn't stay around and what is there in the morning is generally gone by midday.

St Ives
Level Contributor
383 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow in Murren

There's a fair bit of snow on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWEkpTsN8HQ

More seriously, Murren and all that area is a serious contender for the most beautiful place on earth and you'll have a wonderful time. The top of the Schilthorn is nearly 3,000 m high so you must have a good chance of not just seeing it but walking around in it at Piz Gloria.