We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay in Grindelwald, Murren or Interlaken?

new york, new york
Level Contributor
38 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Stay in Grindelwald, Murren or Interlaken?

My friend and I (2 women in our early 30s) will be in the Interlaken area for 3 nights at the end of May. We are interested in hiking, biking, doing the Jungfrau train trip, eating great food out and perhaps doing a bit of post-dinner bar visiting. We are debating whether to stay in Interlaken all 3 nights or to do a couple nights there and a night in Murren or Grindelwald. Given our interests, is one better/more scenic than the other? Should we forego Interlaken all together?

We were looking at staying at either Hotel Krebs or Hotel Royal St Georges in Interlaken. We were also looking at Hotel Cabana, Hotel Gletschergarten or Hotel Eiger in Grindelwald and the Eiger Guesthouse or Hotel Edelweiss in Murren. Any thoughts would be much appreciated! Recommendations on other things to do in that area would also be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Hotel Eiger
Hotel Eiger
689 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Eiger Guesthouse
Eiger Guesthouse
683 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Lexington Kentucky
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay in Grindelwald, Murren or Interlaken?

Hi,

Interlaken is nice but is very touristy and nothing special compared to actually staying in the alps. Grindelwald is also nice but not as spectacular as Murren or Wengen. The views, hiking, biking are nothing short of amazing. Wengen might be a good choice for you with your interest in the Jungfrau train trip.. There is slightly more night life than Murren and the hikes in the area are great.. One thing to consider with biking and also a chance to visit Interlaken would be to rent a bike in Lauterbrunnen and ride to interlaken.. It is mostly level and downhill but is really pretty as most of the ride in on the river.. It is maybe 11 or 12 miles... Then take the train back to Lauterbrunnen and Wengen.. Not familar with the hotels you listed in interlaken but the Eiger and Edelweiss in Murren are standard.. Should you decide on Murren which by the way is amazing you might also want to consider the Hotel Alpenruh. It is located next to the Schilthorn cable car and is a nice choice.. We are actually leaving on Wednesday for another visit to the area and are staying again at the Alpenruh... Hope this answers some of your questions.. There are some really nice places in Wengen to stay also... Please let me know if I can answer anything further. Have a great trip..

Mentioned in this post
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Wengen
Wengen
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Hotel Alpenruh
Hotel Alpenruh
313 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Schilthorn
Schilthorn
1,767 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,728 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay in Grindelwald, Murren or Interlaken?

"We are interested in hiking, biking, doing the Jungfrau train trip, eating great food out and perhaps doing a bit of post-dinner bar visiting."

Hard to do all five things in one location.

Hiking, biking, Jungfrau train trip, eating great food out = Wengen. Spectacularly gorgeous, quintessential Swiss experience. A little bit of night life provided by three or four bars open late but pretty quiet, will be mostly locals in May.

Hiking, good food out = Murren. Beautiful, quieter than Wengen. Dinner at La Grotte or Alpenruh are your best bests.

Post dinner bar visiting = Interlaken or Grindelwald. Lots of tourists, not in the mountains. There's a Hooter's on the main street through Interlaken, tells you alot.

As you might surmise, my vote is Wengen. Let me know if you want more info about it.

Mentioned in this post
Wengen
Wengen
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
3. Re: Stay in Grindelwald, Murren or Interlaken?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 13, 2010