We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Solo to Interlaken and Luzern

Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Solo to Interlaken and Luzern

hi,

I wonder is it safe to travel solo to Switzerland esp Interlaken and Luzern by train? I have never realy travelled in an european train solo before. My main concern is pickpocket and robbery.

What would be your advise for a solo backpacker?

Apart form safety, just wanna confirm tat is it possible to travel alone to jungfrau "top of europe" and sighseeing ard Luzern, eg to the local village in the lake without local tour?

Thx

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,188 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Solo to Interlaken and Luzern

Hi mountain4,

I'm a single woman, 55 years old, and have been travelling by train in Switzerland since 1995. There has never been a problem at all!

Having said that, let me just add that you should not leave your common sense at home! You should have a good idea of where you are going, so you are not wandering around a city lost -- if you don't know where you're going, take a taxi. Try not to arrive / depart a city after dark. If you see a crowd of loud and active folks walking toward you, walk away or duck into a cafe or shop.

As for pickpockets, you should secure your valuables right on your person -- in a hidden under-clothes wallet. Only have a small amount of cash readily available for coffee, etc, and get money out as you need it from the privacy of a toilet booth or your own room.

You'll have a blast though. Enjoy yourself!

s

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,313 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Solo to Interlaken and Luzern

http://www.jungfraubahn.ch/ - the trip is splendid and have no fear about safety. I travel a lot in Switzzerland (solo) and had never had any problems.

Enjoy.

Level Contributor
20 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Solo to Interlaken and Luzern

Thx so much for the replies, swandav n tilly41. Yeah, actually i m excited abt tis trip, as I am planning to travel solo for the first time!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Solo to Interlaken and Luzern

I also have travelled solo in Switzerland and in plenty of other countries. You'll be just fine. Public transport is efficient, punctual and safe and I'm sure you will feel quite comfortable. As sensibly advised above, use your common sense, walk with confidence, don't flash fancy items and enjoy the freedom to do whatever you want when you want.

Have fun.

Southport UK
Level Contributor
933 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Solo to Interlaken and Luzern

I have been travelling alone in Switzerland for the last 25 years and never had any problems. I travel extensively on public transportation and have never felt in the least bit threatened. The public transportation system is wonderful even cable cars are timed to fit in with the local bus or train service.

Most of my visits have centred on the area midway between Interlaken and Luzern so I know the area reasonably well. I just take sensible precautions. I always use a bum bag but on my tum if you see what I mean. I have a small rucksack for every day. Then I have a small holdall for my clothes etc. I have always found people really helpful. The people on the transport are great and have wonderful language skills. I feel quite ashamed of my very limited ability in abiility of Swiss German.

Have a wonderful trip

Can't wait for my next visit

6. Re: Travel Solo to Interlaken and Luzern

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 28, 2010