We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

Which Murren hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Denison, TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

My wife and I are going in August (a surprise to her - she doesn't know we're going to Switzerland, and won't until we board the plane, and even then won't know about Murren until we get there!). Anyway, we're staying at the Eiger Guesthouse, and will be traveling light, but I'm wondering if it's near the train station, or if I will have a bit of a walk with the luggage.

Thanks all,

Ken

bishopkenneth@sbcglobal.net

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

This is cute, and I'm sure you'll get the answer soon. Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with this hotel, but wanted to congratulate you on your super stealthy secret trip!

Unfortunately, unless you have some different system in your airport, your wife will probably find out when you check in, rather than when you board, since they will have to ask her face to face security questions at check in (the "did you pack your own bags" questions). Also, she might have to write down her final destination on her landing card at passport control at the other end - but cross that bridge when you come to it. Even if this is the case, you could set up something fun. You could lead her towards the check in desk for somewhere a bit grim sounding, or somewhere she has always said she doesn't want to go, then at the last minute you could say "oops, wrong check in". Then you could get her to guess which place it is and then whip out some Swiss chocolate or something for your "ta da!" moment. Fun.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

Hi great idea to surprise your wife like this. I don't know your hotel, but I checked the website www.muerren.ch

It's right opsite of the train station so a very simle transfer ;-) The cable cars to Lauterbrunnen and the Schilthorn are on the other side of the village (easy walk through the village).

Denison, TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

Thanks for the information. As for the logistics of the surprise, I'm going to go to the check-in desk first, tell them the details of keeping it a secret, then bring her forward to answer the "I packed it myself" questions. The first tickets will be from Dallas to NYC - so she can have that ticket. The second ticket, from NY to Zurich, I will hold on to until we get to the Zurich gate. It should work!

THANKS for the idea on Swiss Chocolate - good thinking!

Denison, TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

OH - the other part of the surprise: she thinks we're getting away for me to finish a book I'm writing - what she doesn't know is that I already have it finished. She knows we're going somewhere, but doesn't know where (and thinks we're going somewhere in the US). BUT, she thinks that wherever we're going, she will sit around and read and rest while I'm busy writing. The additional surprise will be that I am finished with the book and can spend the whole trip with her. I'm going to give her a wrapped copy of the book once we get on the plane to Zurich, as her birthday present.

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

Cunning - however, the check in desk usually has the location you are flying to on a screen above the check in desk. You'd have to get her to walk up to the desk with your hands in front of her eyes and then she wouldn't be allowed to look up to the screen. Plus, she shouldn't look when they put the tags on the bags because that would give away clues. Maybe you could make her wear an i-pod or earplugs so that she wouldn't hear the announcement when it was time to go to the gate. I reckon it would be good to have the chocolate handy in case your plan gets blown and you still want to have a reveal moment. Don't try and do anything cunning (even if it's cute) at the following places: passport control, security or customs - they don't enjoy stealth!

London
Level Contributor
8,329 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

I have just registered the fact that this is a follow on flight, so I see how it could work. I still think the baggage tags moment could be a problem if you are checking your bags all the way through. Are you sure that you get two separate tickets - won't your ticket say bla to bla via bla, thus giving the game away?

The wrapped book part is super cool.

How will she plan what to pack, or are you going to pack?

Do let us know how all this goes won't you. :)

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

Now you got us all on pins and needles how it will all work out. Suggested decoy locations: Detroit or Newark.

Denison, TX
Level Contributor
42 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

Thanks everyone, for your thoughts and ideas. This thing doesn't happen until August 10, so I have a long time to plan and a long time to keep the secret.

The way AA works tickets is it gives two separate tickets for a two leg trip, so it will be easy to keep the second leg from her. Good thought, though, about keeping her from seeing the baggage tags - we actually may be doing this with nothing more than carry on, which would make it all the more easy.

As for "decoy destinations" - the first leg goes from Dallas to NY, and she knows we're going where there's snow...so I don't know, hmmm, snow in August? Probably nowhere in the NE of the US. But no matter, it's going to be a blast!

When we land in Zurich, she still won't know more than that...we'll take the train down to Lau., then the cablecar/train up to Murren. I'm really looking forward to it.

We'll stay at Eiger Guesthouse. If you folk have any suggestions on what to see and do in Murren for 3 days, or in Lucerne for two, let me know! You can also privately email me if you want (email up in first post).

Thanks everyone - I'll keep you posted. Really enjoying this whole thing, and your input!

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

This is great fun - like a soap opera. You will have to let us know how it goes. I take it your wife doesn't have access to your emails, otherwise goodbye surprise should anyone contact you.

Murren is like a fairytale village. You will love it. The snow is across the valley and up ... up ... to the Jungfraujoch. A favourite hiking area of mine is at Schynige Platte. You get a cogwheel train from Wilderswil in the valley. It has an alpine garden with appreciative butterflies and the views are gorgeous (well, the views everywhere are gorgeous, weather permitting).

When you travel to Lucerne, make sure to take the scenic train route (the goldenpass) via Brunig-Hasliberg. If you are unlucky with the weather in the Bernese Oberland and don't get up to Jungfraujoch, you will have a second chance to go to the snow from Lucerne, at Mt Titlis above Engelberg. Good luck!

Montreal
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is the Eiger Guesthouse near the Train Station

haha, I'm sitting at the eiger guesthouse now, looking out the window - the station is about 20 ft away. Although, Mürren is pretty small- everything is pretty close :)

It is so beautiful here - and lots of things to do. I don't know what time you are coming- but try and get the cable car ride up here in hte daylight- it is really spectacular-and experience in itself really.

If you plan on taking many trips up and down the valley, or up to one of hte lookouts- Make sure you get a swiss pass, like the half pass- at the first station you get to, as trains are pretty expensive.

Have so much fun :)