We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Murren general advice?

london
5 posts
Save Topic
Murren general advice?

Hi all,i'm a 25yr old male heading to Murren for 4 days at the end of this week.

I will be staying at the Chalet Fontana,about which i hear great things!

Some general questions i had..

I've been trying to find Swiss German tips everywhere but am having little luck..i know that being a popular tourist resort most people will speak english but it would be nice to try some basic greetings..anybody have any advice?

I won't be packing hiking shoes,just some regular trainers but am a strong,fit walker so hoping i won't have too many problems at this time of year...is this wise?

My main interest is photography so i'm hoping 4 days will be about enough to enjoy the trails and scenic opportunities Murren provides.Partying is not really my thing but i understand Murren has some nice bars to relax in come the evening..any favourites i should visit?

I have 2 days for certain at chalet fontana and then the possibility of staying elsewhere in the village or moving to Gimmelwald or somewhere else nearby.Any good budget suggestions? I read good things about the 'mountain hostel' but if its super busy i might give it a miss.

many thanks for any help :)

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Murren general advice?

Gruezi means hello.

Bitte means please.

Danke means thank you.

Bitte sch��n means your welcome.

Entschuldigung means excuse me.

Guet Nacht means good night.

Ade means goodbye (more formal.)

Tschuss means goodbye (less formal.)

Tennis shoes are fine for easier hikes. If you have weak ankles or are planning more difficult hikes, I would consider bringing hiking boots.

I can't help with the rest but check out previous threads for info. There are tons of it. Tschuss!

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Murren general advice?

If you get good weather you will have a marvellous time. I wouldn't do high altitude walks without thick soled shoes or boots, as feet soon get sore walking on broken ground in trainers and there will still be plenty of snow around.

The standard greeting is 'Gruss Gott' (God is great) or 'Grusse Meta Nam' (don't know how to spell it but that is how it sounds) if you meet a group of people. (Greetings everyone)

I would strongly recommend the walk to the Schilthorn. I have done it something like 20 times and never tire of it. Besides they do great Black Forest Gateau in the revolving restaurant and you can enjoy thinking of how much money you saved by not taking the cable car.

Another great walk is up the valley to Obersteinberg. This is rough country with no nearby roads if the weather turns bad, so make sure you have a map, compass and waterproof clothing. Buy the Wanderkarte for Lauterbrunnental Jungfrau Region and you will have enough walks to last for months.

There are plenty of lower level walks if you don't have the right kit.

Kelowna
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Murren general advice?

Get yourself a Lonely Planet phrase book, or also Berlitz. The standard greetings, numbers, days, etc., detc. will be in there (plus some very unusally (odd) things too). it is pocket sized so you can carry it easily.

I would recommend hiking shoes - especially if you decide to do some of the longer hikes in the area - i.e. the ones with the long downhills. I have hiked in the Grindelwald area (going to Murren later this summer) and find hiking boots a lot easier on the feet.

london
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Murren general advice?

thanks for the help :)

I have a lonely planet german phrase book but i know swiss german is different..my main query was how to say "My swiss-german is not very good!" and trying to remember whether to use 'meine' or 'mein-e'

:)

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Murren general advice?

Hi LondonBob,

You've got some great advice for hiking. However, Gruss Gott is more Austrian (or Bavarian?) than Swiss. We definately use Gruezi here.

Gruezi mitenand (Meta Nam) is correct. It means greetings together. You wouldn't say it to a single person.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,247 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Murren general advice?

Hello Olygirl, very curious! I have been walking in the Oberland for more than 20 years and I have often been greeted by someone saying Gruss Gott. Could I have been running into Austrians or does it vary between areas of Switzerland?

binarystar, don't worry. I have a German friend who says that he finds it easier to communicate with the Swiss in English than to try to understand the local dialects.