We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Answer for Driving to Jungfraujoch !!

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Answer for Driving to Jungfraujoch !!

Have seen may questions on driving to Jungfraujoch by other users. Having done it myself recently here is the experience. This is an answer to all those who wonder how far can they drive when visiting Jungfraujoch.

General driving is not permitted beyond Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald, only people permitted are the local residents or essential services (construction, maintenance etc) so you would have to park at either of these 2 locations and catch a train from there to Kleine-Scheidegg where you change onto Jungfrau rail.

There is very little difference in ticket price if you take the train to Jungfraujoch from Interlaken or Grindelwald. I drove to Interlaken and parked the car at the train station where the full day parking charge was just CHF5 and found the parking very easily. Driving to Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald is a possibility but the car park there are smaller and more expensive so you spend more money, time and petrol yet enjoying lesser.

So consider leaving your car at Interlaken and catch a train up which is quicker plus gives you beautiful views which you may not see while driving. Additionally train also allows you to do a full loop i.e go up via Lauterbrunnen and come down via Grindelwald or vice versa.

Hope this helps !!

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
97 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Answer for Driving to Jungfraujoch !!

I very much agree with this. I drove to Grindelwald in the summer of 2009 and the parking situation was crazy and expensive. I went back to the area in October 2012, and found taking a train from Interlaken is so much easier and more enjoyable.

The train might be expensive, but it is well worth doing. Great advice AV_Surrey

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Answer for Driving to Jungfraujoch !!

If you stay in Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald you can leave your car at your hotel and walk to the train station. That way you get to stay in a much more pleasant area and avoid paying for parking.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
32,883 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Answer for Driving to Jungfraujoch !!

Not sure I agree with the calculations above...

Train from Interlaken Ost to Jungfraujoch RT is 197.50 + parking in Interlaken 5frs = 202.50frs

Train from Lauterbrunnen to Jungfraujoch RT s 176.20 + 8hrs parking at station = 187.70frs

You save 14.80frs by driving to Lauterbrunnen and then can drive on up the valley... which is lovely or over to Grindelwald...

4. Re: Answer for Driving to Jungfraujoch !!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Jungfrau Region