We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel to Jungfrau in 1 day ?

nyc
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Basel to Jungfrau in 1 day ?

Hi

Is it possible to do a day trip from Basel to Jungfrau?

If not, then should I do 2 days and stay over night in Murren or Wengen or Lauterbrunnen?

Thanks!

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Basel to Jungfrau in 1 day ?

It´s possible to do it as a daytrip, but it will be a long, long day with little time to enjoy the trip. It´s more than 4 hours each way on the trains.

I would advice to stay overnight in Wengen or Lauterbrunnen and so you will have to enjoy that beautiful area.

Edited: 2:52 am, June 07, 2013
W. Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Basel to Jungfrau in 1 day ?

Other than the extremely long train rides the likelihood of you experiencing bad weather at the top is quite a bit more if you don't get there until the afternoon. Whats more the weather could be fine when you leave Basel but really terrible on the Jungfrau. You would waste a huge amount of time and money. You can minimize the risk by staying close to the Jungfrau and not starting the trip up unless the weather is clear.

nyc
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Basel to Jungfrau in 1 day ?

I have had time to read many many posts here and think I will stay 1 night in Wengen.

I will be flying into Zurich from NYC actually. My final destination will be Basel. In between, Id like to visit Interlaken, Wengen, Lauterbrunnen, Jungfrau area.

Can you advise on my itinerary:

Arrive in Zurich 8am Thursday

Take a train to Interlaken via Lucerne.

Visit lake Brienz area and Harder Kulm

Head up to Wengen in the evening, check into hotel, dinner

Friday wake early and go to Jungfrau weather permitting via Lauterbrunnen

Then visit other villages on the way down. (Grindelwald, Kleine Scheidegg)

Head back to Interlaken and over to Basel in the late evening.

Does this sound ok?

Thank you

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Basel to Jungfrau in 1 day ?

It's worth looking at a map of the railways in the Jungfrau area. Lauterbrunnen is on the valley floor, Wengen part way up the hill, go up further to Kleine Scheidegg where you get the train that takes you to Jungfraujoch. So you can go Wengen, KS, Jungfraujoch, then on the way down stop at KS, then down to Grindelwald, around the valley to Zweilutschinen, change trains for Lauterbrunnen and finally back up to Wengen. But then you head straight back to Interlaken, via Lauterbrunnen, so it's worth you thinking this out a bit more - would it be worth missing out Grindelwald and simplifying it all, or would you prefer to see Grindelwald, then go back to Wengen via Mannlichen, finally going via Lauterbrunnen to Interlaken?

Edited: 9:37 am, June 08, 2013
nyc
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Basel to Jungfrau in 1 day ?

Yes, I'll look at the map more to determine which routes make the most sense. Also, need to figure out what to do with my luggage.. If I check out of the hotel then go on this excurssion, perhaps I can leave my luggage at the hotel....but then I'd have to go back to it to grab it before heading out of the area...so to go down to Zweilutschine and back up to just come down again is not ideal. I'll map out a route. Thanks for the info!

6. Re: Basel to Jungfrau in 1 day ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 11, 2014