We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feasibility of last minute trip to Jungfrau region

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Feasibility of last minute trip to Jungfrau region

I will be visiting friends in Zug from April 18 - 30. I plan to purchase a Swiss Pass (haven't done the math, but it seems easiest and reasonable).

I hope to watch the weather and take a trip when appropriate to the Jungfrau region, staying perhaps in Murren or Wengen (if availability), or Gimmelwald.

1.Does a last minute trip sound feasible? I am interested in economical accomodations; there is availability now in some locations.

Then, I would like to travel up to Schilthorn (but is it closed during part of this time?), and/or up to Jungfraujoch.

2. Due to expense, I might pick just one - any opinions/recommendations of which? Or other views that may be just as good?

3. Other places in the region I should be sure to visit? The falls sound interesting.

4. I don't know if there will be any walks/hikes possible at this time of year? I think there is one outside the Schilthorn. Would be interested in others. I will have water-resistent (or -proof?)Keen hiking boots.

If I come and weather turns bad, I know I can always take a trip to Bern, but would like to give it a best shot for good weather.

5.I heard from one participant that Zermatt might be an even better region to visit at this time - ?

Thanks for any thoughts, I leave soon! Due to staying with friends, the itinerary is still loose.

Thanks.

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Feasibility of last minute trip to Jungfrau region

Hi MagsMpls,

You will be in Zug for 12 days. Of these,how many do you intend spending for your trips ?

If you could spare say 6 days then you can visit both the Bernese Oberland and Zermatt areas.

The earlier you book hotels the better.

It is always advisable to go up Jungfraujoch on Day 1 itself ( proviso - check for clear weather on top for that day ) so that if the weather is not so good you could try the subsequent days.

Trummelbach Falls are worth a visit and could be combined with the trip to Jungfraujoch.

Schilthorn and a stop-over at Muerren for some time ( depending on the ground conditions in April ) also make good day trips.

Difficult to choose between Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - both great journeys,great views but the main difference ( even with a Pass ) is the cost - S is a much cheaper trip than J - latter is one of the costliest trips.

Going up Klein Matterhorn from Zermatt would again be weather dependent ( cloudy skies spoil views ).

But with luck you should get clear skies and enjoy the mountain trips.

Have fun.

arvind

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
57 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feasibility of last minute trip to Jungfrau region

Hi arvind,

Thanks so much for your reply. I plan to travel most of the 12 days, but some will be day trips (i.e. Lucerne is one idea). I'm also interested in Bern and Montreux. Since I have free lodging in Zug, I may do some day trips even for longer journeys.

That said, for Alps, I would like to stay overnight some. I don't know if Bernese O. or Zermatt are better - perhaps I would choose based on weather. Based on your suggestions, I might skip Jungfraujoch due to price.

Thank you.

3. Re: Feasibility of last minute trip to Jungfrau region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 18, 2014