We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Jungfraujoch

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visit to Jungfraujoch

We have some questions relating to our trip to Jungfraujoch.

1. How should we plan the trip a) round trip from Wengen; b) round trip from Grindelwald; c) go from Wengen and return to Grindelwald; or d) go from grindelwald and return to Wengen.

2. What side of the train should we be seated on the above options for the best views

3. Is it possible to complete the peak in 3 hours for the good morning/afternoon ticket or would we be too rushed.

thanks a lot

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Jungfraujoch

You can do the trip any of the ways you describe. Usually most folks like to go up one valley and go down another that is go up through Wengen and down through Grindelwald or vise versa. whichever you like its the same distance. Once you get on the train the views will be obvious but if going up from Wengen the views are better from the south side of the train from Wengen up to Kleine Scheidegg. Once at KS it wont make any difference because you will be in a tunnel all the way to the top and back. From KS down to Grindelwald sit on the north side of the train for the best views.

The question of how much time to allow depends on the point at which you are measuring the time. 3 hrs at the top is surely enough but if you are starting in Interlaken 3 hrs is not enough for just the train ride by itself.

Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Jungfraujoch

Thanks mountaintopper. 3 hours would be on the mountaintop with 2 kids in tow. Given so many things to do such as ice palace etc, is this enough - i dont want to miss out for a few CHFs.

when you say south side from Wengen to KS, i think its the right side of the train (facing the direction of travel) and north side from KS to Grindelwald would be left side (facing the direction of travel).

Does one offer better views than the other - i.e. Wengen - Jungfraujoch - Grindelwald vs. Grindelwald - JFJ- Wengen due to the ascent /descent angles.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Jungfraujoch

I would think 3 hrs on top should be plenty. Your train orientation seems correct and it wont make much difference which way you do the loop.

4. Re: Visit to Jungfraujoch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 27, 2014