We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

late november hiking and wandering

uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
late november hiking and wandering

Hi,

I am considering visiting Lauterbrunnen/Wengen/Interlaken or somewhere nearby, from 27th nov to 1st dec. I'd like to do some hiking, have a look around the villages and maybe go up to jungfraujoch.

Having read through some of the posts I'm now concerned about the weather in late november/ early december.

Bearing this in mind I have 2 questions:

(1) Given weather could be atrocious, am I better to base myself in Interlaken rather than, say Wengen?

(2) Will any marked hiking trails / day walks be open this time of year, if so where is best to base myself for these?

any advice greatly appreciated, thanks!

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: late november hiking and wandering

I think that you should be very careful when considering hicking at this time of year even if there is no snow you could easily be caught out unexpectedly.

I would seek out advise from the local tourist office and keep an weather eye before venturing on a hike.

Later in the season snow walking trails will be marked out by people employed by the local authorities.

You should always take care in the mountains and treat them with upmost respect as because as we saw last August they can be cruel and hostile.

Anyway warning over! I'm sure your bound to have a great time, I think that Wengen will be shut as hoteliers tend to take their holidays before the winter season starts, you may do better by staying at Interlaken.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
605 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: late november hiking and wandering

Weather is always impossible to predict.

Last year at the beg. of December, we were hiking on barren trails in our T-shirts. It was great but very unusual for that time of the year.

Most people don't travel during this time. You shouldn't have any problems finding a hotel room, although many hotels are closed. Book two nights in Interlaken and keep the rest open. Follow the good weather.

uk
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: late november hiking and wandering

thanks for the responses, I shall certainly take your advice

One other question about the cost of trains. I don't want to appear lazy, but I have difficulty getting prices from the swiss rail website for the shorter journeys.

I shall make the following 2 big journeys

(1) geneva -> interlaken

(2) interlaken -> basle

with several little excursions over 3 days in the jungfrau area. (inc. jungfraujoch)

Is it immmediately obvious that I should be buying some kind of pass for my 4 days?

thanks

chicago
Level Contributor
98 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: late november hiking and wandering

My suggestion is to stay in Interlaken and days weather is clear head out for the mountains.

My recommendation is-

1. Jungfrau

2. Schithorn

3. Lucerne

4. Lausanne/Montreux.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: late november hiking and wandering

I notice by the www.swisswebcams.ch site that the first snows in the Grindlewald and Wengen area's have arrived.