We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go in Switzerland

Singapore
1 post
Save Topic
Where to go in Switzerland

Hi, we are planning to travel to Switzerland mid November, will have 8 days there. We will be travelling with our 2 daughters age 3 and 5 and hence, I hope to have a relaxing holiday. I am planning to do just 3-4 places in Switzerland. Am thinking of

1 Zurich (since we will be flying to Zurich airport)

2 Interlaken as I heard scenery there is beautiful

3 Lausanne

I am not too sure whether to do Lucerne, Engelberg or Zematt. Just wondering will Interlaken, Zematt and Lucerne be quite similar? Is so, then I will just do either one of them. Which is better Lucerne, Zematt or Interlaken?

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Zurich Airport
Zurich Airport
Zurich, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Lausanne
Lausanne
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Engelberg
Engelberg
Canton of Obwalden, Switzerland
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,303 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go in Switzerland

Hi caiyun,

A lot of folks have been posting about visiting in November, and here is part of my reply to one of them:

November isn't a great time to see the mountains as it'll be dreary and wet then. It's too late for flowers and too early for that winter wonderland landscape. Because of that, many mountain hotels will be closed, and many mountain transport systems (cable cars, etc) are closed for maintenance.

But you can still enjoy a trip to Switzerland in November if you stay in the cities with a lot of activities. You could stay in the town of Thun or the city of Bern -- both are close to the mountains for a quick excursion, and both have interesting historical sites and old-town areas. Thun also has the lake, which adds scenic drama and the possibility of a ferry cruise. Thun also has a castle.

You could also stay in Luzern, which is close to the peaks of Rigi, Titlis, and Pilatus for your mountain fix. Luzern also has a very interesting and historical old town, and of course the stunning Lake Lucerne and the lakeside villages.

Now, as to your specific questions --

Hitting 3 or 4 places over only 8 days does seem pretty rushed to me -- do you mean switching hotels 3 or 4 times, or making 3 or 4 excursions? For a relaxed holiday over 8 days, you should think of only two main destinations (with excursions out). This is especially true as you'll be packing for and herding two little ones!

Zurich, yes, is a lovely city set right on a lake. But because I don't like cities, I don't like to overnight there. You can easily stay in Luzern, an hour away by train, and spend a day visiting the sights in Zurich. Though Luzern is also a city, it's smaller than Zurich and its scenery is more stunning (imo!) with mountains spilling right into the lake. Info at www.luzern.org.

Interlaken does have beautiful scenery, but the mountains are still about 40 minutes away by train; the city itself is devoted to tourists (souvenir shops), and it serves mainly as a starting/transport hub for trips into the mountains. Because of the time of your visit, I wouldn't recommend that you stay in a mountain village, but you can still avoid the tourists by staying in Thun on the lake or in Bern. Info at www.thunersee.ch and www.berninfo.com.

Yes, again, Lausanne is a lovely city on Lake Geneva. But, again, because I don't like cities, I tend to stay in a smaller place like Montreux or Villeneuve or Vevey. This is the French portion of the country, where you'll find Belle Epoque architecture and interiors and where people speak French. You won't be wowed by the mountains here.

Zermatt is a tiny mountain village from which you can, of course, see the famous Matterhorn. I didn't think the village was all that charming because of the hotels built on top of one another up the mountainsides and because of the concrete-lined stream through town. I just got the impression that it was overbuilt (but I'm really in the minority on this!). You can get info at www.zermatt.ch.

Engelberg is a mountain village not far from Luzern, but I haven't been there.

Basically, no, Luzern, Zermatt, & Interlaken are not at all similar. Luzern's mountains aren't as numerous and don't seem as high but it does have stunning lakes; Interlaken is busy; Zermatt is surrounded by mountains.

I suggest you try to get a look at some pictures of all these places by going to a library or a bookstore. Alternately, you could do image searches at google or at www.webshots.com.

Good luck!

s

Mentioned in this post
Thun
Thun
Canton of Bern, Switzerland
Canton of Bern
Canton of Bern
Switzerland
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Titlis
Titlis
101 Reviews
Engelberg, Switzerland
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bern
Bern
Bern Mittelland District, Switzerland
Lausanne
Lausanne
Lake Geneva
Lake Geneva
6,448 Reviews
Geneva, Switzerland
Montreux
Montreux
Vevey
Vevey
Zermatt
Zermatt
Canton of Valais, Switzerland
The Matterhorn
The Matterhorn
3,115 Reviews
Zermatt, Switzerland
Engelberg
Engelberg
Canton of Obwalden, Switzerland
Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go in Switzerland

We are going november 18-16 with our 5 year old and we are driving so we can go on our schedule and stop along the way and really get a feel for every thing. our rotue is interlaken 3 nights as a hub for the lauternbrunne valley, lucerne 1 night, bern 1 night and lausanne 2 nights. if the weather is dreary oh well we will still enjoy the food, the people and the sights. Looking forward to going when there aren't alot of tourists, this ahs worked very well for our other trips to europe when we had free run of all the sights and no lines which means you can cover more things faster. I hope you enjoy your trip.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go in Switzerland

Not sure why you would stay in Interlaken as a hub for the Lauterbrunnen valley. Why not someplace that's actually in the valley like Lauterbrunnen or above it like Wengen or Murren? That said... I have to agree with Swandav. November may be the worst time of the whole year to see the mountains. Many attractions aren't even open. I am usually one who recommends the mountains over anything else but in November I think I might focus on the lowland activities and head to the mountains only if you run into unusually good weather.

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Wengen
Wengen
Murren
Murren
Australia
Level Contributor
132 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go in Switzerland

hi caiyun,

i jut got back from switzerland, i was there for a week.

I went to interlaken, montreux and zermatt.

i loved zermatt - for its clear blue skies (although i was lucky with weather, i have also read that it is warmer/better wether than elsewhere). I also loved it for it specatular views over the alps (different and a little bit better than interlakens junfrou and shilthorn i thought).

Also the hikes/walks range from easy to challenging. When I was there there were families with small children doing walks. And although they were taking it slow for the kids, they were definatley enjoying the amazing scenery!

Have fun.

Cheers,

Kirsty

5. Re: Where to go in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 pm, August 27, 2009