We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

side trip to Jungfraujoch. Does my plan look doable?

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
34 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
side trip to Jungfraujoch. Does my plan look doable?

I am traveling from Venice to Zermatt on the 29th staying in Zermatt the night of the 29th and then traveling on by train (2 1/2 hours) to Interlaken early on the 30th June hoping to go up to the Jungfraujoch on the 30th of course weather permitting. Here is what I am hoping someone can help me with.

1. What time is the last train going up to Jungfraujoch? Time for the last train down?

2. If the weather is good should I stay in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen?

3. Do you see any problems with my plan? My wife and I have tried this once staying in Grindelwald and got half way up the mountain and the train stopped and went back down because of weather. If the weather is bad at the top on the morning we wake up in Zermatt then our plan is to just continue on into France by train making it up as we go.

Thank you for any advice offered

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,597 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: side trip to Jungfraujoch. Does my plan look doable?

But what will you do with the car at the end of the trip? More than likely the high cost includes international drop charges which you could avoid by picking up and dropping off the car in the same country.

I agree that visiting the Val'Aosta really requires a car. It would be almost impossible without one. But you could get your car in Pisa, visit the Val d'Aosta and then drop the car in Milan. Take the train from Milan to Zermatt (change in Brig). Then take the train to Interlaken from Visp and on to the Oberland. Wilderswil is a nice little place but Wengen might be even better. Then train from there to Basel SBB and connect to DB trains to Hannover and Hamburg. (Hamburg is 1hr30 by road from Hannover in light traffic - train would be easier).

You can even get a night train from Basel to Hannover. Which saves money on hotels.

If you rent a car, even a large one capable of holding 4 people and luggage, it shouldn't cost you more than $100/day IF you rent and drop it in Italy.

When you are in the Val d'Aosta do not miss the Forté du Bard near Verrès. It is really a superb castle and its museums are very very well done, especially the Alpine one.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: side trip to Jungfraujoch. Does my plan look doable?

Wow. I greatly appreciate your advice. I'll get with the others on our trip to discuss your recommendations and ask you some questions in a few days.

Thank you,

Paul

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
34 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: side trip to Jungfraujoch. Does my plan look doable?

Well for starters I was looking at the "top of Eruope" web site and from Wengen it makes sense but at the time I was looking at the Interlaken timetable and I do not believe it is written properly as it shows the returns coming back earlier than the departures as well as list 10 other cities /towns etc... its a mess. I did not think to look at the SBB site as I did not think a train trip up to the Jungfrau would even be listed (why I thought that I can't say it is in fact a train trip) So thanks for pointing me in the right direction on that front. As to touristy towns none is more touristy than Virginia Beach (where I live) so I understand how that goes with needing tourist to make a living. I really liked Grindelwald just thought I would stay somewhere new/different and wanted to make sure it was conducive to also going up the JungFrau. Thank you again for all the advice I think have a solid plan and a better than not chance of making it to the Jungfrau. Have a great day!!!!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
37,597 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: side trip to Jungfraujoch. Does my plan look doable?

If you are talking about the Jungfraubahn site I think you misunderstood it. You have to click on the name of the town you are starting from (on the left) and it then gives you all the departures and the stops. For the return journey you have to click on return... above the listing.

I think it could be better organised but it does give the correct information once you understand how to use it.

I hope you have lovely weather and do in fact get up to the Jungfraujoch!

15. Re: side trip to Jungfraujoch. Does my plan look doable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:28 am, April 28, 2014
16. Re: side trip to Jungfraujoch. Does my plan look doable?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Edited: 10:28 am, April 28, 2014
17. Re: side trip to Jungfraujoch. Does my plan look doable?

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: side trip to Jungfraujoch. Does my plan look doable?

Thank you again for your excellent advice and thanks also to Marsh M.

We've decided to skip the rental car and Val d'Aosta this time. We'll take a train from Pietrasanta to either Zermatt or Interlaken area or both, haven't decided, before taking the train to Hamburg to catch our ship home.

Paul

19. Re: side trip to Jungfraujoch. Does my plan look doable?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 25, 2015