We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interlaken Ost 2-3 hour layover

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Interlaken Ost 2-3 hour layover

What may you wonder WHAT would be a reason to lay over in a train station?!?

The majority of our family will be on train from Paris on Friday 7/4/14 headed to destination Wengen. Appears to be about a 6-7 hour journey.

Our youngest son, age 26, will be flying into Zurich that morning arrival around 10:00 am. He will then train to Interlaken where my plan is we all meet and head to Wengen together as he will be unable to check into condo without us. He is quite likely to be waiting for us a number of hours. Does anyone have information on a resto or pub in the train station or near the train station where he could find some food/drink/relaxation? Many thanks. Also any ideas of best place for him to exchange USD for CHF?

Bradford, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interlaken Ost 2-3 hour layover

Hi RubiasJourney

There are a couple of banks across the square from the entrance to Interlaken Ost.

Straight opposite the train station entrance is the Co-op. This has a self-service restaurant on the 1st floor which serves good basic food.

If the weather is good I would suggest that your son buys a snack and drink from the Co-op Supermarket crosses back over to the front of the railway station, turns left, walks for about 5 mins to a small park on the right and then finds himself a bench near the river and there he can just laze until you arrive.

Hope this helps,

Susan

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interlaken Ost 2-3 hour layover

Many thanks. Helps tremendously. Am just realizing though he will probably need to exchange money at Zurich airport to purchase his train ticket. He's not a credit card user and I was told it makes no financial sense to purchase his train ticket online and pay the extra fees. It'll be a good introduction to solo travel for him (she said positively.)

San Antonio, Texas
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interlaken Ost 2-3 hour layover

What extra fees? SBB or your banks. Advance purchase on-line will be cheaper then walk up, but its not as flexible as walk up. If its your Banks, then you need to get a credit card without FOREX fee charges and better get one with a chip too.

By the way, a ticket for him all the way to Wengen advance purchase will be cheaper when walk up Zurich and Interlaken Ost. Just as easy for him to hang out in Wengen waiting for you then Interlaken.

Also use an ATM card to get money, its cheaper on the exchange, then cash. Never use a credit card to get cash. And then using a credit card you will be offer the option to pay in USD, don't you will pay more.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interlaken Ost 2-3 hour layover

Since when has it been cheaper to buy train tickets online in Switzerland? News to me...

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,088 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interlaken Ost 2-3 hour layover

As the name implies, the 'Ost' station is located in the East-end of town.

There is more activity around the Interlaken West station which is one stop before the Ost station.

Get off at the West station and wander through town. It is about a 1-mile walk from west to east. Numerous restaurants and touristy gift shops along the way.

He could also take a trip up to the Harder Kulm. The mountain views to the south are spectacular.

The funicular is located just across the river from the Ost station.

jungfrau.ch/en/…

Lafayette, Louisiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interlaken Ost 2-3 hour layover

I think I'll let him make the decision about Interlaken or Wengen for the wait. At least I'll be able to share all these tips. Thanks one and all.

7. Re: Interlaken Ost 2-3 hour layover

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 29, 2015