We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucerne, Interlaken and Jungfraujoch in last week of May

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Lucerne, Interlaken and Jungfraujoch in last week of May

Hi.

My proposed plan is:

day one : flying in zurich around noon. wander aimlessly for the rest of the day.

day two: train to lucerne. check in a budget hotel or a hostel. Take the "Golden Round Trip" to Pilatus kulm. Visit the Chapel Bridge ( time permitting)

day three: Early morning train to Engelberg. Move further to Mt. Titlis via aerial cablecar. Return back to Lucerne for overnight stay.

day four : early morning train to Interlaken. check in a budget hotel/hostel/BnB. Head out to Jungfrau. My planned trip is :

Interlaken---Lauterbrunmen----Kleine Scheidegg----jungfraujoch

Jungfraujoch---Kleine Scheidegg---Grindelwald---Interlaken.

Rest of the day at some cafe, gazing at the lake.

day 4: train to paris. Still working upon the best train/bus available.

Need help for the following:

1. Is it worth the time and money to stay at Zurich or should I move directly to lucerne by train on the same day? if not, what cheap accommodations are available?

2. Is the tour of Pilatus Klum as good as the guide books make it out? Also is the boat cruise to Alpnachstad recommended or I should take a train?

3. What combined ticket/pass should I purchase for travelling to Mt. Titlis, so that maximum cable rides are covered?

4. Similarily what combined ticket/pass is most economical for Jungfrau?

5. I will be continuing to paris after Switzerland. Is there any way to move to paris without having to return to interlaken? Is some train available from somewhere near or around Jungfrau?

6. It's silly to ask but if one had to cut down on expenses in Lucerne, what trip should be axed from the above? Also which will prove better economically between Jungfrau and Mt. Titlis?

7. Since I will be travelling to Italy, france, amsterdam, berlin, prague, vienna, and brussels, what pass should i purchase for maximum benefits on travel and sightseeing.

Utterly confused !!

Thanks

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,901 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucerne, Interlaken and Jungfraujoch in last week of May

The most economical ticket for Jungfraujoch is the early morning ticket, which means staying in Interlaken or somewhere on the route up overnight. I don't know about the books but i didn't enjoy Pilatus.

I'm not sure of the logic of both Titlis and Jungfraujoch. JFJ is a huge expense, do you need two high mountains in a short trip?

The train from JFJ goes to Interlaken, there's no train any other way.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucerne, Interlaken and Jungfraujoch in last week of May

Thank you Skitandoori!

JFJ is the one draining my pockets! I guess i will axe it. Will check up more about Pilatus but will keep your view in mind.

Is Paris connected to Interlaken by train? Can you also help me in selecting the best rail pass for my entire vacation?

Regards

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucerne, Interlaken and Jungfraujoch in last week of May

Yes, Paris is connected to Interlaken by train, likely through Basel. I make the trip the opposite way, from Paris to Lauterbrunnen through Basel and Interlaken last year. For us, the Half Fare card worked out best economically, but you have to do the math yourself to see if you will be saving any money after the initial up-front cost of the card.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Lucerne, Interlaken and Jungfraujoch in last week of May

Thank you MarkinSTL!

i have been able to work out my paris travel. Any ideas/tips about economical pass for Mt. Titlis?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
Level Contributor
15,036 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lucerne, Interlaken and Jungfraujoch in last week of May

Hi niiharika

If you need to cut your costs, the best option would be to stay in one base only and to do day excursions from there. This would give you a chance to buy a regional pass which are less costly than Swiss Passes.

If you would choose the Lucerne area you could buy the Tell Pass which gives you free travelling to most peaks - see the map on www.tellpass.ch - in the area.

You will need to do the math to know which is the most economical rail pass. Get the fares on www.sbb.ch/en and the homepages of the different peaks you would like to visit and compare it with the cost of the passes you can find on www.swisstravelsystem.ch .

For hostels look at www.sjh.ch/en (you also can find budget hotels at the Lucerne area on www.luzern.com ).

pore

6. Re: Lucerne, Interlaken and Jungfraujoch in last week of May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 28, 2015