We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does the Swiss half fare card work on the Jungfrau railway?

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Does the Swiss half fare card work on the Jungfrau railway?

I will be traveling with my 15 year old daughter in February, 2014. I will be flying in to Zurich and then taking the train to Interlaken. I was told I could buy the Swiss Half Fare Card at the train station for 120 swiss francs that would allow me to travel for half price from Zurich to Interlaken, and along with the free Family Card, that my daughter could travel free. I was also told that I could use the Half Fare card to get half off of the train to the top of the Jungfrau and that I could buy a Junior Card for my daughter for 30 swiss francs and that my daughter could go free. Has anyone done this? I got conflicting information when I called Jungfrau railways and then called SBB. Would appreciate any info.

Mentioned in this post
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
528 Reviews
Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,924 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does the Swiss half fare card work on the Jungfrau railway?

The Half Fare Card is valid to Jungfraujoch. With the Swiss Family Card your daughter will also get free travel there. No need to buy a Junior Card.

Mentioned in this post
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,436 Reviews
Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does the Swiss half fare card work on the Jungfrau railway?

Yes. 50% discount. Better value than the Swiss pass which can get you as far as Wengen or Grindelwald free, but only gives a 25% discount past these two villages.

Mentioned in this post
Wengen
Wengen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does the Swiss half fare card work on the Jungfrau railway?

Thank you for your reply.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does the Swiss half fare card work on the Jungfrau railway?

Thanks for the info.

Peachtree City...
Level Contributor
9 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does the Swiss half fare card work on the Jungfrau railway?

Thanks for the info.

Tullamore, Ireland
Level Contributor
30 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does the Swiss half fare card work on the Jungfrau railway?

We plan to arrive at Interlaken from Paris via Basel (it'll be 14 May but is not yet available on sncf website) either 15:51 or 17:51, then get bus 21 to Manor Farm campsite. We plan to be there until Tuesday 20th morning, then drive the hire car to Chur (very early start) & do the Bernina Express to Tirano. We are also hoping to do some scenic train journeys around Interlaken maybe the Jungfrau if it's clear. Is there an easy formula to work out advantages of half-fare card/ Swiss pass / just buying tickets as you go? Three adults are travelling together so we would get 10% off Swiss Pass.

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Chur
Chur
Canton of Graubunden, Switzerland
Bernina Express
Bernina Express
1,772 Reviews
Swiss Alps, Switzerland
Tirano
Tirano
Province of Sondrio, Italy
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
528 Reviews
7. Re: Does the Swiss half fare card work on the Jungfrau railway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, February 09, 2015