We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

After much deliberation we have booked to stay in the backpackers villa sonnenhof in interlaken. Due to our dietary requirements the backpackers villa was ideal with its self catering facilities. We are 4 guys travelling from West Yorkshire in the UK and we are driving to switzerland by road in an Audi a4 allroad. We are travelling at the beginning of march

I would like some help on what route to take once getting off the ferry at calais.

Also If anyone has experience of using interlaken as a base for a ski/snowboarding trip can you advise on what routine you used and what mountains you visited.

Many thanks in advance.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

Interlaken is a good hour or more from any of the ski and snowboarding areas to the south so it's not really an ideal base.

I might suggest Valley Hostel or camping Jungfrau in Lauterbrunnen (both have cooking facilities) as an alternate. Staying in Lauterbrunnen would cut your daily travel time at least in half

Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

We did have a look at lauterbrunnen and where we are staying is 3.5 miles away and costs us 5 times less than the prices in that area. What are the best mountains to tackle as improver/intermediate snowboarders in that area?

Thanks

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

Sorry Shabz, but I think you're mad staying in Interlaken!

You wlll be driving every day and the commute will completely get on your nerves. I would suggest that instead of Interlaken, you think about another trip altogether!

I do love the area (lived and worked there a couple of years ago, it's spectacular beyond belief and has some cracking off-piste, all of which is devoid of crowds. But it hardly rates for convenience at the best of times and staying in Interlaken is a bit pointless.

If you are set on the Jungfrau and decide on Interlaken, then Grindelwald is probably the best for you in terms of balance for riding / convenience.

I'd be interested to check your thoughts post-trip!

Ping me an email through adam.brown@glaciustravel.com (sorry for the business plug!)

Cheers,

Adam

Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

The message seems to be consistent Adam everyone thinks we have gone mad because of that commute in the morning. I know that tons of people do this and there is a shuttle service that runs from the hostel door to the mountains everyday.

We are definitely booked for there now. And will see how we get on.

Will keep you posted.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

It does make a bit of a difference if there is a hostel shuttle, as it won't be as much of a faff as catching the bus. But, yeah, keep me posted! Intrigued to check where you end up riding!! Don't forget Murren!! Cheers

Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

This is what I am looking to find out. Where the most convenient to get to in terms of resorts. I have managed to get hold of a timetable for the shuttle. It runs through a few hostels in interlaken through to grindelwald and has stops where we can catch the interchange to murren-schilthorn

Doesn't seem like such a long journey on the shuttle looking at the timings.

If you have any recommendations let me know.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

How many days are you going for? And I'll suggest how to split it.

You're probably looking at about 45 mins from walking out the door to getting your board on decent snow. Seems like a long time, but you will basically use multiple modes of transport. It is Switzerland so is super organised. You get off train and the connection is there waiting for you. And it is awesome scenery, so I'd think you'll spend a lot of time just chilling out. Not sure if that's good or bad news. But you definitely won't be riding hard all day every day, as you will need to spend time getting from A to B.

So the journeys....

If the shuttle takes you to Grindelwald then presumably that is where you will spend most of your time(left side of piste map). Hopefully, the shuttle will take you to First gondola (long and slow! = take a snack!), rather than just Grindlewald centre. If only to the centre, you'll then need to jump on another shuttle to get to First.

Try and spend at least a day starting from each of the following:

Murren: get to Interlaken train station for a train to Lauterbrunnen. From there, take a cable car to Grutschalp and then train to meet the chairlift at Winteregg. Then ride all day, have a blast! Options for coming home: either Gimmelwald cable car to meet bus back to Lauterbrunnen from Stechelberg. Or else, wander from Gimmelwald, through village, stop for a beer, and get train from Murren to Grutschalp to meet cable car down to Lauterbrunnen.

Kleine Scheidegg (K.S): get your shuttle to Grindelwald centre (Grund if he goes that bit further). From Centre, you can get trains to Grund and then K.S. (mostly staying on the same train). Worth noting that K.S., although spectacular, is pretty flat and is a bif of faff for boarders. Once you get off the train you will then need to walk to another lift from where you can start exploring and only return to K.S. for lunch or beer! Also, when you ride from K.S. to Grund, you will need to take your gear off and walk at the bottom. Again, beautiful (scenery, cannot be overstated), but if you are not into walking, then think about just taking the lift.

Think about taking a run to from K.S. to Wengen for an afternoon beer and maybe dinner and then you could return to Interlaken without going via K.S. Again, a flat run to Wengen, but again spectacular village. Most of flat run can be avoided by riding Lauberhorn (as opposed to from K.S.). Awesome train ride. Feel like a kid in a massive toy train. Seriously, and I'm not normally into that kind of stuff! But is really cool.

Hope that helps!!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

Should be 45 mins to an hour! If you have your car, you could always drive, but even then you will still only be able to go so far. So you're still looking at a minimum of 45 mins.

Also one no-nos = if going to Murren, don't go via K.S. or Wengen, no matter what anyone says!

Moral of the story is pick your area and go to it for the day.

Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

Hi Adam

Thank you very much for the information. That's exactly what I needed to know. Going to be there for 5 days in total. I think we will definitely be driving everyday. 45 mins is good as there is a few of us and a different driver each day should do the trick.

Will be buying passes for the jungfrau region which cover the areas you mentioned including grindelwald murren schilthorn etc. Although we will choose one area per day and stick to that. We were hoping to do grindelwald/first on the first day as I have heard from people it's easier and forgiving for novices.

Sorry didn't reply earlier. Didn't get a notification to say you had replied.

Thanks

Shabz

Level Contributor
13 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Interlaken as base for Snowboarding Trip

Also we love the scenery and don't mind sitting back and enjoying so may try the shuttle for the day when we are going to grindelwald to experience that.

I hear murren is car free. Where would be park before using a cable car /train/lift into murren?

Thanks