We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dress code for eating?

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Topic
dress code for eating?

hi,

since we r visiting switzerland during summer, we would probably rome around in comfy shorts and T-shirts. do a lot of restaurants in and around interlaken have a certain dress code, or would shorts and t-shirts get us into most nice restaurants?

i could not find much info through forum search. looking forward to advice :)

thanks so much!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,078 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dress code for eating?

Hi, for lunch you will probably be fine but please don't have offensive sayings on your T-shirts! It never ceases to amaze me when I see Americans abroad and their t-shirt says something really crude and gross - most folks, particularly in Switzerland, read English and they think less of us for such things. What I would call a dressier t-shirt would be fine.

Evenings can be quite different - some restaurants do have dress codes and would not allow you to dine in shorts and t-shirts. I think in an area like Interlaken you will find most folks dining in a nicer restaurant will have on a shirt (collared) or blouse and slacks or nice turtleneck and slacks. The slacks can be decent looking khakis. There may be some places that require a tie and jacket even but you won't lack choice if you have on slacks and shirt or blouse.

Hope this helps and have a great time!

Wisconsin
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: dress code for eating?

thank you soo much for your prompt and helpful info. i will keep tht in mind when we get to packing :) thanks again!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dress code for eating?

Bucky, I agree about t-shirts with sayings, Nascar, etc. My husband and I packed hiking weight shirts and pants...for example:

http://www.usoutdoorstore.com/ex-officio.htm

You can literally take 4-5 shirts and pants and they pack beautifully and weigh next to nothing. Plus, they wash and dry quickly.We were able to pack in carryons that way. At dinner, I'd change from dirty hiking shoes to flats, but wore khaki capris and short sleeve shirts most of the time. Unless you are dining in some very fancy restaurant, you'll find everyone dressed that way. Switzerland is chock full of backpackers and hikers of all ages and that is the type of clothing you see everywhere on everyone. Also, most restaurants have outdoor dining and everyone is casual. A lot of people are only carrying backpacks and they certainly don't pack dressy clothes!

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dress code for eating?

And a note to possibly save you some room in your packing. Hiking boots in Switzerland are like flip-flops in Key West. They are THE accepted footwear in almost any situation. Especially in the mountain communities. No need to pack extra dress shoes for different occasions unless you are staying at the Victoria Jungfrau then you probably have someone else packing for you!

Louisville, Kentucky
Destination Expert
for Louisville
Level Contributor
1,910 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dress code for eating?

Correct- and the only place I saw women wearing heels was in Lugano and it was that "tight pants,high heeled shoes and designer big bags" look that seems prevalent in Italian cities. Pretty funny to see women try to walk on cobblestones or bricks in heels.

And yes, I saw people at the Caprice restaurant in Wengen (pretty upscale) in their hiking clothes and boots who had not even changed between a day on the trails and dinner. Everyone was treated the same and nobody said a word about dress codes.

6. Re: dress code for eating?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, August 15, 2009