We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lauterbrunnen stay/activities

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
lauterbrunnen stay/activities

Hey,

My brother and I are wanting to stay in Lauterbrunnen in mid-late august this year. Firstly, I was wondering how many nights is suitable for a Lauterbrunnen stay? I was thinking either 2-3? Secondly, I was wondering what activities you might suggest? We are backpacking so we'd prefer to keep our spending all in moderation. ;)

Anticipating your replies,

Justin

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lauterbrunnen stay/activities

Hiking in the area is great. Unbelievable scenery. How long you stay is up to you. No matter how long you choose its never enough. We have stayed from one week to two months and always wanted to stay more.

You can save some money by staying at the Valley Hostel or Camping Jungfrau. Both offer bargain

facilities. Meals at the restaurants in town are great but not cheap. The Co-Op grocery store is right across the street from the train station and the hostel offer cooking facilities.

www.valleyhostel.ch/pages/en/home.php?lang=EN

camping-jungfrau.ch/en/ueber_uns/default.asp

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lauterbrunnen stay/activities

Thanks for the info mountaintopper. I will look into those accommodation options. Also, any particular walks or activities that you would suggest in the area for two guys of a moderate/medium fitness level? Secondly, is it expensive to go up to the top of the Schihlthorn?

Justin

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lauterbrunnen stay/activities

Unfortunately you will find that almost everything in Switzerland is relatively expensive. The full fare from Lauterbrunnen up to the Schilthorn and back is just under 100CF.

In the Murren area the walk from Grutchalp (at the upper lift station from Lauterbrunnen) on into Murren is a very scenic and easy walk of about an hour and a half. On the other side of the valley the walk from Lauterbrunnen up to Wengen takes a little over an hour. It's all uphill but the trail is smooth and wide and well maintained. Great views of the valley along the way.

Getting back to the Schilthorn you can cut your cost in half by hiking up and riding the lift down. It's not easy but if you get good weather it's an amazing walk. I wouldn't do it if you have a problem with heights. You also might split it up by hiking up as far as the Birg station then taking the cablecar the last bit to the top.

From Murren it takes about 4 1/2 hrs to get to the top.

Edited: 9:00 pm, June 12, 2013
Melbourne...
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: lauterbrunnen stay/activities

Hey Mountaintopper.

Thanks for the details. Those walks sound awesome. I look forward to trekking those trails.

As for the Schilthorn, it may come down to one or the other. Which do you think is more worth the trip? A trip to Schilthorn? Or a trip up Mount Pilatus in Lauterbrunnen?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lauterbrunnen stay/activities

I would go for the Schilthorn and Mt Pilatus isn't in Lauterbrunnen.

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: lauterbrunnen stay/activities

Sorry, I meant Lucerne, as that us where we are staying before Lauterbrunnen :P

Thanks for all your advice.

Justin.

7. Re: lauterbrunnen stay/activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 15, 2014