We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How is it to drive in the Interlaken/Jungfrau region?

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How is it to drive in the Interlaken/Jungfrau region?

HI. I am probably going to rent a car and drive to the Interlaken/ Jungfrau region. I want to hear

from any one out there that has driven in that part of the world. Are the roads very curvy and dangerous? Is it easy to drive into these mountainous parts or is it challenging and would I be better off coming by train? I am mostly concerned about the steepness of going up mountains and would there be switchbacks and lots of curves to navigate.

I am an American. I have driven in Kenya, Africa but I have never driven in Europe except once very briefly a long time ago.

Please advise on driving within this region and on the highways also from Italy to Switzerland.

thanks very much for your help.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,677 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: How is it to drive in the Interlaken/Jungfrau region?

Of course! You simply go to the ticket office wherever you are in Italy show them whatever pass you have and ask for a ticket to wherever you are going here. They will then sell you what you need to continue your journey once your pass stops functioning. And also make sure you have a seat reservation should you need one...

I am not at all sure that Trenitalia has passes for tourists... but maybe they do. Anyway if you have a Eurail pass it will also work here on some of our lines. You have to read the fine print as they say. But a Eurail is not the wonder it once was, so to speak... check carefully that you are getting the best value for your money.

Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
67 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: How is it to drive in the Interlaken/Jungfrau region?

Do you know if I can combine an Italian rail pass with regular tickets to Switzerland?

I noticed that the Swiss rail pass is much more expensive than the one for Italy so it wouldnt be e conomical to buy one, But what happens when I board a train in Italy with my italy rail pass and than travel into Switzerland?

Thanks for your help.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
35,677 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: How is it to drive in the Interlaken/Jungfrau region?

First you need to go to a station in Italy, with your pass. Tell them where you want to come here. They will sell you a ticket from the appropriate border point (Chiasso if on the Gotthard line) Domodossola (if on the Simplon line) and when you are checked on the train when you leave Milan or wherever you simply show both tickets. The Contrôleurs are well used to this sort of thing...

A 4 day Swiss pass works out at roughly 100frs/day. When you realise that this includes all rail transport except some private mountain railways, post buses, town buses and trams and lake boats plus entrance to over 400 museums it doesn't seem so expensive any more!! that said, train fares are cheaper in Italy anyway...A Swiss Pass is very useful when doing long journeys - Bern to Sion etc. Not if you are only making short local trips!

14. Re: How is it to drive in the Interlaken/Jungfrau region?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 11, 2014