We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cycling around interlaken/lauterbrunnen

hawaii
Level Contributor
587 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
cycling around interlaken/lauterbrunnen

hello

how hard is it to rent bikes on your own and cycle from interlaken to lauterbrunnen to see all the waterfalls and sights in between?

thank you

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cycling around interlaken/lauterbrunnen

Renting the bikes is not hard but the road from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen can be dangerous for bikers. Lots of blind curves with cars and tour busses coming the other way. I think I would recommend taking the train up to Lauterbrunnen and renting your bikes there. You can ride all along the valley floor to see the waterfalls or take your bike on the lift up to Grutchalp and ride into Murren and on down to Gimmelwald. Cablecar down to Stechelberg and bike your way back to Lauterbrunnen.

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Murren
Murren
nyc
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cycling around interlaken/lauterbrunnen

mountaintopper - the ride that you suggest above...Lauterbrunnen-Grutchalp-Murren_Gimmelward....about how many miles it that and how long of a ride is it about please.? Is a map provided at the rental location? re the trails easy to follow without referencing the map too often? Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Murren
Murren
W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cycling around interlaken/lauterbrunnen

I would think it would be about 3-4 hrs of easy riding with some time out for pictures etc. It is either flat or downhill the whole way. Walking and biking trails are very well marked throughout the area.

Edited: 7:11 am, June 08, 2013
nyc
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: cycling around interlaken/lauterbrunnen

Is it possible to bike up to Schilthorn?

When I look at the map of the area...these villages are in one area. The villages of Grindlewald, Kleine Scheidegg to me seem like they are on the other end of the area. Is it possible to bike between them all in 1day or is that too much?

Mentioned in this post
Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg
387 Reviews
W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cycling around interlaken/lauterbrunnen

Getting from Lauterbrunnen (2650 ft) up to Kleine Scheidegg (6800 ft) and down to Grindelwlad (3200 ft) isn't all that far distance wise but the elevation change is quite a bit. I would say if you want to do the loop around the Lauterbrunnen valley I described before you probably wouldn't have time to get all the way up through Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg and down to Grindelwald plus getting back to your starting point to return your bike.

Mentioned in this post
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Kleine Scheidegg
Kleine Scheidegg
387 Reviews
Wengen
Wengen
Grindelwald
Grindelwald
nyc
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cycling around interlaken/lauterbrunnen

Alright thank you for describing it to me. I just wanted to get a grasp of how large this area is and how much of it I can realistically explore on the 2 days that I have to be here.

Thanks!

Edited: 3:54 pm, June 08, 2013
7. Re: cycling around interlaken/lauterbrunnen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 10, 2014