We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zurich to Lauterbrennen

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Zurich to Lauterbrennen

Hi!

We'll be travelling from Zurich to Lautetbrennen in June..we will be having Eurail passes..we can travel to Interlaken using eurail but how do we get to Lauterbrennen from Zurich straight or from Interlaken?

Bern
Level Contributor
16 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zurich to Lauterbrennen

Hi shahiraaaaa,

From Zürich to Lauterbrunnen, you'll have to change trains two times, but the connections are made for each other, so the travel time is quite short.

There is a connection every 30 minutes for the whole trip.

First, take the train in Zürich to Bern at .02/.32 every hour (it will go on from there, but Bern will be clearly indicated, it's the first stop, a bit less than 1 hour), change there to Interlaken Ost (some services have you to change train in Spiez on the way to Interlaken Ost), and then change in Interlaken Ost to the regional train to Lauterbrunnen.

If you prefer a more scenic ride to Interlaken, take the train from Zurich to Lucerne, and then from Lucerne to Interlaken, but please note this will extend the travel time by about one hour. The view might be worth it, though.

You'll always pass through Interlaken Ost, no matter if you go by Bern or Lucerne, as the train line to Lauterbrunnen starts in Interlaken.

Please check the timetable on www.sbb.ch

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zurich to Lauterbrennen

<If you prefer a more scenic ride to Interlaken, take the train from Zurich to Lucerne, and then from Lucerne to Interlaken, but please note this will extend the travel time by about one hour. The view might be worth it, though.>

Definitely do this unless you are in a real hurry, it's well worth the longer journey.

England, United...
Level Contributor
2,819 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zurich to Lauterbrennen

Seconded. It's a really great trip via Lucerne.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zurich to Lauterbrennen

Agree with Neuch. Train from Zurich to Lucern. A bit of sightseeing there if you have the time. And the Golden Pass train to Interlaken where you cross the platform to get the local Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald trains. Get on the front carriages of the "local". The train is split at Zweilütschinen with the front half continuing on to Lauterbrunnen and the rear going to Grindelwald. The carriages are clearly marked with their destination.

If it's not too late, reconsider the Eurail pass. They're seldom good value for money, and in your case a Swiss Rail Pass or half fare card may be much better value. Also, (and I may be wrong here,) I don't think your Eurail pass covers the rail lines from Interlaken onwards. The Swiss passes give either free or reduced trips into the mountains.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
389 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zurich to Lauterbrennen

I'll be making the same trip in late March from the Zurich Airport. I might also consider the route that goes by way of Lucerne as well.

What is Bern like though? Interesting place?

Lucerne over Bern?

Bern
Level Contributor
16 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zurich to Lauterbrennen

Bern has a lovely old city, some nice churches and is the capital of Switzerland (including the "capitol" of Switzerland) - all which can be done in a few hours trip. Lucerne has the (rebuilt) Kappelbridge, which is an ancient bridge with famous paintings, the lovely lake with boat trips, and is generally more "scenery" with mountains nearby. I assume just googling the two towns is easier to find out more informations, both places are definitely worth visiting, with Bern probably being a bit less touristic all overall.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
389 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zurich to Lauterbrennen

Thank you, WorldTraveller.

I guess it comes down to what I prefer seeing based on my research of the two. The pictures I've seen of Bern look amazing.

I can tell there is a lot of scenery to see in Lucerne as well.

Unfortunately I don't have time for both on this trip.

Thanks for the information!

I can't wait to see Switzerland.

8. Re: Zurich to Lauterbrennen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 05, 2014