We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Muerren or Wengen for Family of 4 (2 Adults, 2 Teenagers...

washington
1 post
Save Topic
Muerren or Wengen for Family of 4 (2 Adults, 2 Teenagers...

We are first time visitors to Switzerland, planning to be there from July 3-8. We are planning two nights/three days in Lucern (Monday - Wednesday) and then taking train to stay thru Saturday in either Muerren or Wengen. We plan on hiking and exploring the Eiger/Monch/Jungfrau/Schlilthorn range.

Which town would be the best for us to stay in as a base camp -- Wengen or Muerren? What hotel would you recommend in either of the towns? We are looking for mid-range price -- not too expensive, and not too cheap. Any particular hikes or excursions that you would recommend? We like to be outdoors, and are fun-loving (vs serious) hikers.

Thanks much.

PS We are also spending a couple of days in Lucern -- any suggestions for hotel or activities would also be welcome.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,162 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Muerren or Wengen for Family of 4 (2 Adults, 2 Teenagers...

Hi cassietreat,

Well, one of the transportation means up to Muerren is closed this summer to be replaced, so all traffic up there only has one route -- may be more difficult to get to Muerren.

In Wengen, I liked the Hotel Alpenrose (www.alpenrose.ch).

Sorry, I usually ski in this area so don't know any hikes. I'm sure you'll get some good responses soon, though. If not, you can find hikes at www.wengen.com or www.wengen.ch or www.grindelwald.ch -- or just walk into the tourist office when you're in town.

In Luzern, I like the Hotel Des Balances (www.balances.ch), and a lot of people like the Des Alpes, which is very close to it. In Luzern, you can pick a peak to get up: Rigi (www.rigi.ch), Pilatus (www.pilatus.ch), or Titlis (www.titlis.ch). You can take a ferry cruise around the lake, and stop at one of the lakeside villages (Weggis or Vitznau) to stroll around and have lunch. The old town is also wonderful, with its many fountains, the old town hall, and the Musegg Walls.

Have fun!

s

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Muerren or Wengen for Family of 4 (2 Adults, 2 Teenagers...

Definitely Wengen, especially this year with the limited access to Muerren

Places to hike: Take the cable car from Wengen to the top of the Maennlivhen and walk over to the Kleine Scheidegg. It's an easy, slightly downhill hike with great views of Grindelwald, the Eiger with its North face and the Jungfrau. A couple of nice restaurants close to the Kl. Scheidegg.

Also, you can hike from the Kleine Scheidegg to Wengen, although I would take the train from the Kl. S. to the next stop toward Wengen and walk from there. Again, mostly easy downhill. En route, there's a great restaurant overlooking Wengen with some of the best Eisbecher (European-type ice cream parfaits). Your kids will love them.

The above two hikes I did last June. I am sure that tourist office in Wengen has additional suggestions.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Muerren or Wengen for Family of 4 (2 Adults, 2 Teenagers...

Depends on how fit you are and what you regard as a reasonable walk. If you are not very fit and regard two hours or so as a long walk, stay in Wengen. If your idea of hiking is to go out over tough country for five or six hours, Murren would be much better for you.

I have been a regular visitor to the Oberland for more than 20 years and switch between Murren and Grindelwald for each visit in order to have access to different areas. I suspect that the closure of the funicular will make getting to Murren more expensive than it used to be but if you intend to stay there most of the time this will not be important.