We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainy day(s) recommendations?

Greer, South...
Level Contributor
60 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Rainy day(s) recommendations?

We are going to be in Interlaken next week for 6 days, and it looks like it may rain the entire time. Any recommendations for what to do when it's raining?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainy day(s) recommendations?

The Swiss museum at Ballenberg is great and with an umbrella or raincoat it's not bad at all. Be sure to check the weather TVs each day. Often the weather a few miles away in the mountains is not the same as the valleys and will offer opportunities.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainy day(s) recommendations?

I'm writing this very often here: Don't trust weatherforecasts trying to tell you the weather in more than a week. Those internationa weatherforecasts are often very bad. And rain on a day doesn't mean it's raining all day, rainy weeather is usually very unstable. For realiable weatherforecast go to http://www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch

Zermatt has often very differnt weather to the Bernese Oberland

There is sometimes a wind called Foehn activtive around Interlaken that creates good weather while it's raining in the rest of the country. (mentioned in national weather forecasts, but hard to predict)

Some bad weater options are for example

city trips partly with castels (Bern, Thun, Lucerne, Brig, Sion)

spa eg. in Leukerbad

canyons and caves: Truemmelbach Falls, Beatus cave (not if there is very stron rain),Aare Gorge

Boats on the lakes have an indoor part with big windows, means as well option

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainy day(s) recommendations?

Mube is exactly right, as always. Forecasts are very unpredictable.

Additionally, "rain" in the weather forecast in the BO typically means a brief shower during the day. I'm in Wengen now and there was some rain in the forecast yesterday. It was sunny all day until about 5:00 pm, then we had thunder and a downpour for about 45 minutes. 30 mins later it was sunny again. The weather was so grand that the Tuesday evening BBQ atop Männlichen was still glorious! (An outing I highly recommend to anyone headed this way this month or next)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
166 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainy day(s) recommendations?

Agree with what others said, the days we were there last year there was rain scheduled and it did rain on and off on a couple days and we just did what we had planned to do which was mainly hiking. We did get rained on a little but we were prepared for it and still had a great time despite getting a little wet.

Bern, Switzerland
Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainy day(s) recommendations?

And if the weather should be bad for a day on the following link you find some bad weather suggestions: files.gadmin.ch/50821…

Enjoy Interlaken!

Edited: 2:32 am, July 27, 2012
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,231 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainy day(s) recommendations?

kimsanjose -- "happy Wengen"!!

from Gstaad.

s

Canandaigua
Level Contributor
726 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainy day(s) recommendations?

Definately Ballenburg, rain or shine! You can check out the wood carving shops in Brienz, too. Or take the train to Luzern and visit the old town, churches, kappelbrucke, and the transport musuem.

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainy day(s) recommendations?

Hey s,

Happy Gstaad!

Wengen is perfect, as always. So perfect I have neglected my email and TA for several days.

N-Day coming up 1 August. I think you will still be in country? Gute Reise!

K

9. Re: Rainy day(s) recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 08, 2013