We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train trips

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Train trips

We are staying just outside Interlaken in June for 10 nights.Having chosen a Swiss flexi pass and using 4 days for free travel, we are now considering our trips. I wondered if anyone could give us some tips on how best to use our free travel please. We have already done the Junfraujoch some years ago, so will give that one a miss (I realise that trips of this nature, we will have to pay for).

We would have liked to have done a really long trip down to Lugano, but looking at the timetables, it would be too much in one day we think. We would have liked to see the Italian part of Switzerland, but seems doubtful???

We will have our car with us, but don't really want to use it for the duration of the holiday, we are just using it for the drive into Switzerland from home, however if there is a way of incorporating a small drive with train to get a little further we would consider it.

Thanks in anticipation.

bern
Level Contributor
3,487 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Train trips

Of course there are the nearby sights like Schilthorn, Truemmelbach, Niederhorn or Beatus cave, but for all those trips it might be better to use the Half Fare of the days in between.

I agree the Italian part is very far for a day trip as you would spend most of the time in the train. What are your interests

Berner Oberland:

personally I like the Oeschinen lake at Kandersteg very much. If you are looking for an easy hike you can walk from the Gemmipass (cable car in Leukerbad) to Sunnbuehl (cable car to Kandersteg)

The Gstaad are has some great mountain places and is very good for easy hiking. My favorite place here is the Rellerli at Schönried.

Busses to the big mountain passes Susten and Grimsel start service on June 18, but passes are usually open by End of May beginning of June. The busses don't run very often so here a car can be advantage.

Other areas

Of longer distance trips I think Zermatt is a good option. The trip takes about 2 hours and is mostly very scenic. In Zermatt you get 50% discount for all mountain transport very good options are the Gornergrat or the Klein Matterhorn.

The Bettmerhorn at Bettmeralp offers great view of the Aletsch glacier the longest glacier in the alps. To really get to it you need to hike, the best hike is Bettmerhorn to Marjele lake where you can touch the glacier and back to Fiescheralp, check out before if trails are already open. Cable cars in that area start service on June 11, parts open for June 2-5 (Ascension Day and weekend)

Montreux (one way via Gstaad on the Goldenpass route) is a day trip to a completly other area with a much milder climate and great sights.

The Lucerne area (again on the Golden pass route) offers other great sights. A very scenic trip without additional costs as the Rigi is included: Train to Lucerne, boat to Vitznau, train up the Rigi, Rigi to Arth-Goldau and back to Lucerne/Interlaken. Good places for stops are Vitznau, Lucerne and of course the Rigi, Arth-Goldau has a small, but very nice zoo.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,731 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Train trips

Mube has covered most of the trips I was going to suggest, but there is, if the pass is open the trip over the Grosse Scheidegg from Grindelwald to Meirigen. All you have to pay I think is a supplement on the post bus.

I too looked at going to Lugano, but from Interlaken it is impossible if yu want to see Lugano

3. Re: Train trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, October 29, 2012