We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interlaken to Jungfraujoch day trip

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
93 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Interlaken to Jungfraujoch day trip

We will be staying in Zurich for a couple of nights in August and want to do a day trip up to Jungfraujoch weather permitting. Since we have a car we were thinking of driving to Interlaken and getting the train there. Seems more efficient to do it that way but we are planning from thousands of miles away. So a couple of questions? First does anyone have a better suggestion and 2nd is it ok to wait and buy train tickets the day of?

Thanks

B

63 replies to this topic
Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interlaken to Jungfraujoch day trip

Well my first 2 suggestions would be to get rid of the car while in Switzerland and to stay in the Interlaken Area instead of Zurich.

8.5 hours of your journey to/from the Jungfrau will be sitting on the train. Switzerland is indeed beautiful, but wouldn't you rather be outside enjoying the beautiful country rather than see it all pass by you on the other side of the window?

The Swiss Transport system is excellent and a car is not really needed...especially parked in downtown Zurich :-) Either spend your nights somewhere closer to the Jungfrau like the beautiful alpine villages of Mürren, Gimmelwald, Wengen or drop the trip entirely.

There are other beautiful villages and stunning scenery much closer to Zurich. You could stay in the old medieval city center of Lucerne and venture up to Mt Pilatus via the lake steamers and cogwheels. Lucerne is only about a 50 minute train ride from Zurich. Many people actually spend their last night in Lucerne and take the train straight into Zurich Airport the next morning.

You could also venture to Mt Titlis http://www.titlis.ch/ which is about half the distance of the Jungfrau.

If at all possible my recommendation would be to spend your time in Mürren or Wengen and do the Jungfrau trip from there.

London
Level Contributor
121 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interlaken to Jungfraujoch day trip

hi.. i guess i am as well about that...i red great travel guide about that train tour (from Interlaken// to Jangfrauojc.. sorry for spelling) the very confusing thing is .... where and how we get the possibility for organised day trip tailormade by some companies or it will be cheaper to do it own our own.. we live in london and planning for city break 1st time to swiss.. generally london-zurich trip.. stay over night (where?) then go for one day trip for that train then back to zurich and next day spent all day for zurich... and after that go home... so 3-4 days... all together... i red www.viator.com prizes atc.. but seems to me very expensive.. any travel agencies do cheaper? worth to book with viator in advance or wait till we get to zurich and then search? thank u

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,940 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Interlaken to Jungfraujoch day trip

A couple of points.

I agree with not staying in Zurich if you really want to see the jungfrau. The weather in the mountains is extremely unpredictable even in August. You could have great weather in Zurich, spend half a day in a car or train to get to the jungfrau area and end up with the mountains being socked in.

If you have a car you can use it to get to the area but if you are only obtaining the car for this excursion then I would advise against it. Take the train.

I would travel from Zurich to the Interlaken area and stay in Lauterbrunnen, Wengen or maybe Murren for the two nights you have in Switzerland. You will be right on the rail line that goes up to the Jungfraujoch and you can take advantage of getting to the top early when chances of good weather are best and when you come down you have the afternoon to see the rest of the area.

Edited: 4:32 pm, March 07, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interlaken to Jungfraujoch day trip

You definitely don't need a tour guide to go to the Jungfrau. Go to any train station anywhere in Switzerland tell them you want a ticket to Jungfrau...it couldn't get much simpler than that. When you arrive - just follow all of the other peolpe getting off the train because everybody goes the same way. No tour guide needed. When you're finished seeing/doing/eating everything you want then just go back to the station and get on the next available train.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
93 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Interlaken to Jungfraujoch day trip

Thanks for your help and input. Since we are going to have a car I am trying to figure how far to drive and where to catch the train to take advantage of the views. I was thinking Interlaken but can certain do whatever.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Interlaken to Jungfraujoch day trip

If you just absolutely must have that rental car...you can drive all the way through Interlaken all the way to Lauterbrunnen where you can park in the big parking garage. From there the train station is across the street. It will take you from Lauterbrunnen to Wengen to Kleine Schedegg to Jungfrau. Lauterbrunnen is as far as you can drive because the rest of the villages are car-free.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
54,028 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Interlaken to Jungfraujoch day trip

With a car, you can either base yourself at Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. Lauterbrunnen is very quiet while Grindelwald is a bit more happening. I personally prefer Grindelwald. Grindelwald is actually the closest you can get to Jungfrau.

Remember to head up to Jungfrau only on a clear day. Just about all hotels should be able to look online at the Jungfrau webcam before your departure. If it's not clear up there, there is nothing to see.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Interlaken to Jungfraujoch day trip

Yes, I agree. Grindelwald is indeed a bit more happening with loads and loads of tour buses. The Lauterbrunnen Valley is one of THE most beautiful and photographed places in the world. It would truly be a shame to miss it.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
93 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Interlaken to Jungfraujoch day trip

Very helpful. As always.

B

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
93 posts
64 reviews