We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

Hi,

My fiance and I are getting married in switzerland in august this year, and have narrowed the venue down to 3 places, but we can't decide which one!

We're trying to work out which would be better: Interlaken, Lake Brienz or Lake Thun. Any ideas? If so, why?

Thanks so much for any help :)

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

Why don't you tell us why you think those places are good choices then we could help you find what you are looking for.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,808 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

Are we talking indoor or outdoor? If indoor - I've never seen a more beautiful place than the Jesuit Church in Lucerne...right in the middle of the medieval old town and on the banks of the River Reuss with the swans swimming just in front:

www.travel-images.com/photo-switz168.html

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,730 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

Hi JiffyMoon

Sorry to throw a damper on your plans but getting married in Switzerland is a highly complicated business. You cannot just arrive and get married. First, everyone getting married in Switzerland MUST have a legal civil wedding organised by and at the local Commune or Gemeinde (Town) authorities. In the French part you must go to the Etat Civil. I don't know what this is called in the German part...but it will be the same. Second one of you must be domiciled, legally, here. And getting the paper work done will take you around 6 months. And there is a new law coming into effect (or perhaps already in force) which will require both parties to the marriage to be legal residents.

What I suggest you do is to get married in a civil ceremony in your home country, to make it valid, then have the blessing of the marriage here in the church of your choice, just like the Swiss do OR organise your own ceremony in the place of your choice like other Swiss do.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,193 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

Hi JiffyMoon

Some good advice from Hambagahle.

Do you intend to organise the wedding yourself or use an (expensive!) agency?

This link to the myswitzerland website may help.

myswitzerland.com/en/interests/family/gettin…

The following link gives the procedure for marriage between two foreign nationals. You may wish to contact the Swiss Embassy in Canberra for more information.

…admin.ch/eda/…ContentPar_0005

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

Hi everyone!

Thanks for the helpful replies :)

First of all, yes we've got the legal part sorted out. We're aware of what needs to be submitted and are already have that part sorted out.

We want to get married in switzlerland for many reasons, first of all, we've been talking about getting married in switzerland for 3 years and we can't imagine a more beautiful country to get married in, second, my father passed away last year and we can't imagine getting married in Australia without him, third, we want an adventure to compliment such a special time in out lives!

We've been in contact with a wedding company (switzerlandweddingcompany.com) and they work soley around the Interlaken area. Interlake, Lake Brienz and Lake Thun are just stunning from what I've seen, and that's what we're after: a scenic place that we can take my mum and a couple of friends to make this commitment.

The next step is to pick the place, and the three are all just so majestic that we're having a hard time choosing. That's why any help is greatly appreciated!

Jiffy xx

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

Are you more interested in lakeside setting or something more Alpine? Both Lakes Brienze and Thun are pretty in fact during one of our trips to the area we encountered a group holding a wedding on upper deck of the lake steamer as it cruised around the lake. The area certainly has no shortage of Alpine mountain scenery either. There are spots in Wengen and Murren that will take your breath away.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,730 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

As I said, the law has changed quite recently (in the last couple of months in fact...) and it would be a much better idea to have a civil ceremony in Australia and then a beautiful wedding here. Far less hassle with paperwork too (if you can avoid any Swiss bureaucracy, do it!)

8. Re: Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:36 am, April 07, 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

While I'm on the site, I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. We're getting married in September in Interlaken and we're so very excited!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding in beautiful Switzerland!

Great news! Best wishes!

The whole area is beautiful,so am sure you and your family will have a wonderful time. Let us know how it all went please!