We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Switzerland

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
175 reviews
Save Topic
3 days in Switzerland

I need some advice on my trip to Swizerland which takes place on September 10th for 3 days.

I arrive and depart from Geneva and in between would like to take interesting scenic trips by train and end up in a fairly large city each evening ( there are only 2 - Friday and Saturday)

I would like some advice on what route is best to take - as a train and landscapte admirer I am happy to spend quite a few hours each day travelling.

Thank you for your assistance.

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Switzerland

You can travel to wengen or murren via Montreux - Gstaad and spend your time in the jungfrau area

Www.myjungfrau.com

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Switzerland

Bearing in mind the "trains + biggish towns" criteria, you could do something like:

Day 1: Geneva - Lausanne - Martigny - Sion.

Day 2: Sion - Brig - Andermatt - Luzern

OR (longer)

Day 2: Sion - Brig - Domodossola - Locarno - Luzern

Day 3: Luzern - Langnau - Bern - Lausanne - Geneva

Lots of scenery but you would be on trains pretty much all the time, especially on day 2.

For day 3, make sure you do Luzern-Bern via Langnau; it's not the most direct route but the line through the Emmental is very scenic.

W. Palm Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Switzerland

It seems like you are at crossed purposes with your request. You want to admire the scenery and the landscapes (which are not in the cities) but you want to be in a city at night.

Why do you want to be in the city at night? It would be much easier to spend your time (you only have 3 days) seeing the sites of the Alps, taking in the scenery and landscape and staying the night in the mountains. You will wake up to the mountain scenery and do away with needless travel between cities and the areas where the nature is.

Ireland
Level Contributor
21 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Switzerland

Thank you for your assistance with this - these routes have been very helpful - could I ask you two more questions

1)What route would i take if I wished to see the best scenery by train with Geneva as the starting point ignoring the 'City rule' in the evening,

2)If I buy the 3 day Swiss Flexi Pass will this cover all these routes.

I appreciate your assistance

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Switzerland

Well... if you're prepared to drop the "city" criterion, I would go along with Swisslover76's suggestion to spend at least one night up in the mountains.

For example:

Day 1: Geneva - Montreux - Gstaad - Zweisimmen - Interlaken - then Wengen or Mürren

Day 2: Wengen/Mürren - Interlaken - Luzern

Day 3: either the same as my original Day 3 suggestion

OR (longer but more mountainous)

Day 3: Luzern - Göschenen - Andermatt - Brig - Sion - Lausanne - Geneva.

I don't know anything about the various passes on offer apart from what I have read on this forum, so I will leave it to others to answer that question.

Lucerne, Switzerland
Level Contributor
2,523 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Switzerland

Oh, and just in case you haven't already seen it, there's a pdf format map of the whole Swiss railway network here:

mct.sbb.ch/mct/fr/uebersichtskarte-halbtax-a…

Dubai
Level Contributor
596 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Switzerland

Yes it would cover the route mentioned by Neuch. Click on "Overview of the network on which the Swiss Flexi Pass is valid"

www.myswissalps.com/swissflexipass.asp…

The above website also highlights other possible alternatives, swiss pass, half fare cards etc.

8. Re: 3 days in Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 14, 2011