We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned back!

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just returned back!

Guys,

We(I and my wife) had been to Switzerland from 29th to 31st Oct. We returned back to Brussels yesterday. I could have written a review but don't have that much time right now. I couldn't resist myself from adding a post here.

We had a wonderful trip! oh, not wonderful, actually there is no exact word to describe. It was mindblowing. 3 days we really spent in heaven. We reached Basel from Brussels on 29th morning and from there to Interlaken. What a cute and beautiful town ! I have promised myself to go at least once again to Interlaken. We stayed at Rugenpark (followed suggestions of you guys) and it was a wonderful experience. Really, Kris and Ursulla are very nice people. We went to Schilthorn on first day, that only left us speechless. We were not aware of what's coming on the next day. Next day we went to Jungfrau which can only be compared to the heaven. Jungfrau is Jungfrau, no other word can describe it better ! Third day we went to Luzern from Interlaken and then to mount Pilatus. That was a different experience altogether. Another type of beauty! then just wandered in Luzern and returned back to Basel on Monday night then to Brussels.

We bought half fare card and after paying 660 swiss franks on first day to buy all the tickets, we did not spend a single penny on tickets anywhere. I will post some pictures afterwards, but thanks a lot all you guys, especially Oller, Ollygirl, Swandav etc.

Now, my next destination is Paris on 26th Nov. I had been to Paris once, but this time going with my wife.

Mentioned in this post
Schilthorn
Schilthorn
1,767 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
528 Reviews
Bernese Oberland, Switzerland
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Basel
Basel
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Lucerne
Lucerne
Canton of Lucerne, Switzerland
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned back!

Yahoo! Welcome to the Club!! So happy you had a great trip, and I'm anxiously looking forward to your photos.

Thanks for reporting back!

s

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,110 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned back!

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip! Reading your report I wish I could go up to Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch again tommorrow! And of course I am getting jealous when I hear you're going to Paris just in a couple of days ... don't know what I do wrong that I have to work the whole time!

Mentioned in this post
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,438 Reviews
Schilthorn
Schilthorn
1,767 Reviews
Murren, Switzerland
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned back!

I can only echo the above and I am sure that you remember my comment in a previous posting;

"On your second night in Interlaken begin to plan you next visit."

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned back!

Interlaken, JungFrau or Switzerland as a whole are not supposed to be visited only once. Period.

I am already browsing Paris forums now, to know something which I didn't know before.

Guys, I also have to work very hard. Being an Indian, that's in my blood :-) but you should enjoy sometimes. As the saying goes in Hindi

Dhoop mai chal ke dekho

Barish mai naha ke dekho

Jindagi kya hai

Kitabo ko hata ke dekho

Walk in the Sun, Get wet in Rain! Remove book in front of you to know what is life!

Mentioned in this post
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
528 Reviews
Interlaken
Interlaken
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Monroe, New Jersey
Level Contributor
171 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned back!

Good morning to all-

I just discovered this site (the BEST education and vicarious adventures) and am so glad to meet other travel-hungry workaholics. Especially appreciated are the sage Indian words. Thanks for the Sat. morning gift.

I'm doing a Cosmos 8 day land trip in Switzerland in mid-July before a family get together in Budapest. Unfortunately I couldn't find an independent or organized trip that would include all the train travel I wanted within a tiny amount of time, hence, Cosmos. Since this tour doesn't get to Jungfrau (can you believe) I'm doing it on my own from Zurich - but only overnight.

Your experience and suggestions have been very helpful but I'm wondering if a one night stay (Thurs to Fri, return to Zurich on Fri late afternoon) is pushing it too close with little return?

1- I'm a fierce and avid visitor so have the ambition to keep going but really - Can this be done with any satisfaction? OR would I really need to add another day?

2- If so, how do you Swiss travel gurus suggest I can best maximize time, lodging location?

Thanks much for advice.

Mentioned in this post
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
528 Reviews
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned back!

Travelm,

You can make the trip from Zurich to the Jungfrau and back with only an overnight stay but you will spend more time on trains than anwhere else.

It's about a 2 and 1/2 hr train ride from Zurich to Interlaken Ost if you get the express. Then it's another 30 minutes or so to Lauterbrunnen. I would reccommend staying overnight in Lauterbrunnen. You can catch the first train up to the Jungfraujoch in the morning and be back in Lauterbrunnen before noon if you don't waste any time. Then it's just the reverse of your initial trip to get back to Zurich.

As much as I love the Lauterbrunnen valley and the Jungfrau area I'm not sure I would put myself through this much train travel in one day to see it.

If you decide to go I reccommend the Hotel Oberland in Lauterbrunnen.

Mentioned in this post
Jungfraujoch
Jungfraujoch
2,438 Reviews
Hotel Oberland
Hotel Oberland
429 Reviews
Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland
Jungfrau
Jungfrau
528 Reviews
Zurich
Zurich
Canton of Zurich, Switzerland
Interlaken
Interlaken
Lauterbrunnen
Lauterbrunnen
Jungfrau Region, Switzerland
Monroe, New Jersey
Level Contributor
171 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned back!

Thanks for the advice which has decided me on a 2 night stay in the area. Not much, but certainly better than all that train-hopping in one day that you warn of.

Will certainly try for the Oberland in Lautenbrunnen V.

And am praying for clear weather...

Thanks again - Gabriela

Dubai, United Arab...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned back!

Visiting Interlaken end June. Any idea as to the weather and warm clothes ?

DG

DUBAI

UAE

Mentioned in this post
Interlaken
Interlaken
Dubai
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned back!

DG ,

R u going only to interlaken.

have you booked thru a travel agent in DUbai.

I am scheduled to go in July .

Just wanted to know your experience

10. Re: Just returned back!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 16, 2009