We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Interlaken

San Jose, California
8 posts
Save Topic
Driving to Interlaken

Hi,

I am planning to drive from salzburg to interlaken in Mid nov. Any suggestion for this route? Other option for me is to drive from munich to interlaken.. I want to take the best scenic route and avoid snow/ice as far as possible.

thanks so much

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Interlaken

From Salzburg to Interlaken I would drive over Innsbruck - Arlberg (there are 2 options driving through the tunnel by paying a toll or over the pass - if there is no snow I would favour the latter) - Sargans (with its beautifull castle) - Lake of Zurich - leave the highway at Pfaeffikon - if you have spare time do a little side trip to the beautifull monastery of Einsiedeln - Schwyz - Luzern - Bruenig pass (not very high, normally not snow covered) - Lake of Brienz - Interlaken. This route if among the fastest ones but also quite scenic.

From Munich the fastest route would be via Memmingen - Bregenz - St. Gallen (nice town, worth a stop) - Zuerich - Bern - Thun - Interlaken. But it's pretty boring. An alternative would be to drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and Imst. From there join the described route from Salzburg. But I have never driven the first part of this route, don't know exactly about the roads around Garmisch-Partenkirchen (maybe you should post this on German or Austrian forum).

San Jose, California
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Interlaken

Thanks oller.

From your post it appears that you prefer salzburg to interlakn route. I guess I will take that. BTW how much is toll. IN general (since this is my first time in europe) how would be driving around interlaken. Do you suggest parking at one place and then taking public transport or driving is fine (more so after flooding)..

I am really enjoying all the post on this site. Getting feedback from local residents is awesome.

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,101 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Interlaken

It's some time ago that I went through Arlberg tunnel, but I would expect toll to be around Euro 10. In addition for Austria and Switzerland you need to buy a sticker for using the freeways. Don't know how much it is in Austria (there are different kinds for shorter and longer periods). In Switzerland it costs CHF 40 and is valid for one year.

If you want to do excursions from Interlaken, it's the best to do it by train. By car you can for instance only drive until Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. From there you have to take the train further up (Kleine Scheidegg, Jungfraujoch, Wengen, Muerren). So if you have a rental car, I would suggest to dropp it off upon your arrival in Interlaken.