We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interlaken, most beautiful area

Which Interlaken hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston, ma
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Interlaken, most beautiful area

I stayed here a few years ago at Bahmer's hostel, started in the building with a friend which was too raucous, and we moved to the tent. In the morning, we woke and walked out to find ourselves sitting at the feet of the Alps in the sunlight, they had served coffee, cocoa, and rolls, and Mount Jungfrau was behind us. I had never seen anything so picturesque, I couldn't believe it was real. I went on an excursion called "canyoning" extremely dangerous because you basically hold onto a rope and fly through white water with no padding, just a wet suit, and Interlaken was one of the few places you could do this then because of insurance reasons. A few people got hurt, but not badly (other than the guide, Marty, who was taken out on a gurney, and I became good friends with later, he was fine!) My friend and I toured through Interlaken, and our cameras couldn't take pictures to do justice to the color of the lake. The hotels were so beautiful, but as students, we stuck to the hostel. The pastry shops in town has the most incredible pastries, I had some apricot pastry which was incredible, I'll never forget it. We also had wonderful pretzels, and fondue. Most people spoke German, and many knew English, but my friend knew enough german to help us out. This it such a beautiful area. I would go back in an instant and visit the area, stay in one of the hotels listed on this site next time since I'm older and would want to afford a little nicer, and not be in with a bunch of drunken kids again. But if you want an incredible area to take in the beauty of the Swiss alps, and eat some incredible food, and stay in some beautiful hotels, this is a wonderful area!

Sacramento,Ca.
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Interlaken, most beautiful area

There is a hostel in Lauterbrunnen, just 10 miles south of Interlaken. I didn't stay there so I can't say how "raucus" it is, but I did meet the manager and he was quite nice. Lauterbrunnen is smaller and more laid back, so it might be a better experience.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interlaken, most beautiful area

cpalmermackay, I agree with you about Interlaken being a beautiful area. Was interested in your description of the canyoning. In July 1999, 21 young people died whilst canyoning in the Saxetenbach (?not sure of correct name) Gorge at Lauterbrunnen, when it flash flooded whilst they were in there. Fourteen of them were Australians and not sure about the others. Very tragic.

Sacramento,Ca.
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Interlaken, most beautiful area

What a tragedy. but I hope this information will not discourage people from visiting the large Lauterbrunnen Valley. Saxeten is not really in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. It's a much smaller, separate valley between Lauterbrunnen and Interlaken.