We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
441 reviews
Save Topic
Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

I read the previous posts about favoring the trip to the Schilthorn instead of the Jungfraujoch, but I have talked to my son about the trip to the Jungfraujoch with the train through the tunnel, the ice sculptures in the tunnels in the glacier and the dog sled rides, so we will definitely be going there. (He'll be 12 so it's a good choice for us)

The question is - would the Shilthorn be a good second trip from Lauterbrunnen or too repetitive? He'd like to ascend a mountain by cable car just for the experience; we'll be in Lauterbrunnen 2 1/2 days. Comments please!

Thanks so much

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

Do both, the view from Schilthorn is much different as you look back across the Lauterbrunnern valley to the Jungfrau, Eiger, Monch and Wetterhorn mountains.

Schilthorn in not as high as the Jungfraujoch so you are a little less likely to be in the clouds and with the 360˚view the weather does not need to be perfect.

In the AM, on your Interlaken hotel room TV, there should be 2 channels which will have webcams and weather forecasts for all the mountain top resorts through out the area. Go up to the Jungfrau on a clear day then do Schilthorn and the Trümmelbach waterfall on another day.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

A great trip to do from Lauterbrunnen is to take the funicular from the station up to Grutschalp (perpendicular!!) then walk through the cowbell orchestra to Winteregg (half hourish).(Or use the little train.) Have a snack there-super place,welcomes kids too. The walk is flat and easy but gives a real feel of the mountains

Then take the little mountain railway from the restaurant to Murren (10 mins and he will LOVE the journey)or walk there(40 mins.) facing the Eiger,M. and Jung.The mountains look SO near! After that either walk through Murren to the Schilthorn cablecar,probably a must for James Bond fans of that age group,or just spend the time in Murren or Allmend.[You often hear the alpenhorn played up at Allmend.]

On the way down you should definitely descend by the spectacular Stechelberg cablecar. It's one of the best. What a drop! A bus will connect with your cablecar and will take you back to Lauterbrunnen.I advise doing it that way round as you are facing the magnificent mountains all day but you could do it in reverse starting with the bus to Stechelberg(Unsure spelling!!)

If you still have time you could get off the bus at Trummelbach.He could not fail to be impressed by the roaring melt water falls inside the mountain.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

Has your son had a look at the live cam sites for Switzerland?Several sites offer views of the Schilthorn,Lake Brienz, Thun First etc. Might be fun for him to have a preview.

Raleigh, North...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

So, can you see anything from the Schilthorn even though it is cloudy? I will be there next week and the weather forecast says it will be cloudy. I would like to go up the Schilthorn but am not sure I would see anything. I assume one would not be able to see the tops of the surrounding mountains on a cloudy day. Would it still be worth it to go?

harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

this is great info! thanks everyone! Can anyone tell me the website to see the live web cams up there please?

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

www.swisspanorama.com

For more webcams see www.myswitzerland.com

Enjoy your visit.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

You can ride the gondola without going all the way to the Schilthorn. From Stechelberg it stops on the way up at Gimmelwald and Murren before finally arriving at the Schilthorn. If you have a Swiss Pass the Gondola from Stechelberg to Murren is free and the portion from Murren on up to Schilthorn will be discounted.

Also, you DO know that kids under 16 travel free with a paying adult, don't you? That's one of the great things about Switzerland.

harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
82 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

Thanks for pointing out the family card! I did know about that (yea! I'll be travelling with my 2 12 year olds!!!), but am trying to find out if the kids travel for free up the Jungfraujoch and to the Schilthorn. Do you know?

pittsburgh, pa
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

Absolutely, take your son to the Schilthorn. The cablecar ride is exciting and once you are up there, you have a 360 degree view of the mountains around. It is a different experience than the Jungfrau. There is also a revolving retaurant up there and if your son is a James Bond fan, there was a movie filmed there. Just one thing. Before you get on the cablecar, check the TV screen which shows the weather at the Schilthorn and make sure that it is not fogged in. Have fun!

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,769 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jungfraujoch and Schilthorn - a new question!

Yes, kids less than 16 travel free to Jungfrau and Schilthorn with Swiss Family Card.