We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

ljy
u.k
7 posts
Save Topic
the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

we are visiing interlaken next week, my wife is concerned about the food, as she is a fussy eater, is there mcdonalds / kfc etc

lee

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,754 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

Yes, there is McDonalds in Interlaken.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

The Swiss normally eat eat proper food, not JUNK food, so if all she wants is McDonalds , she can't be very fussy!!! But of course junk food friends are also around so no problem. Allthough KTF went bankrupt in Switzerland.(not enough clients)

ljy
u.k
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

whats this ktf, never heard of this in uk!

Nad Al Sheba Club
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

rister probably meant: KFC closed in Switzerland

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,762 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

If your wife is a fussy eater, you should hope there are NO McD and such stuff around. At least she gets something healthy to eat, and you too :-)))

Switzerland
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

I have visited UK five times so far and the food was never good except for Indian food....so don't worry, be happy you will be able to eat in Switzerland.

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

It can be done with a little care. I'm a pretty fussy eater myself - I don't like tomatoes, for instance, which proved a little difficult on honeymoon in Italy but there's usually something.

If you can tell us some things that the mrs doesn't like, we could make some suggestions of what to look out for on menus - and perhaps some german phrases for asking about ingredients would be useful for you?

I agree though - go to Maccie-Dees at the last resort really and try and find something local that fits the bill

York
Level Contributor
485 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

Oh, and Amazingthing - it's a shame but we don't really have "English Restaurants" in the way that in Switzerland I can go into the Walliser Stube in Brig and choose between fondue or roesti or kaeseschnitt and a dozen other local dishes.

You will find that the best places to eat out are "foreign" because the only place you can really get traditional English food is at the pub, and pub food tends not to be very good.

Off-topic I know but ...

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

A really fun place is Bebbis Restaurant, Bahnhofstrasse 16. It is located across from the Interlaken West RR station in the Best Western Hotel Bernerhof. Tell Robert we said Hi. Website: http://www.bebbis.com/index_1.html

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
6,216 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: the food in switzerland (giswil/interlaken)visiting next...

My wife and I are lovers of almost all things Swiss but the cost of eating out in Alpine villages really is amazing and way out of line with other costs. Grindelwald is one of our favourite places on the face of the earth but its restaurants are enormously over priced. After an eight hour walk anything tastes good, even Macdonalds!