We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jungfrau

north jersey
Level Contributor
209 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
jungfrau

Is it best to go to jungfraujoch first and spend the whole morning there and then go down to lauderbrunner in the afternoon? Then take the train to grindelwald for dinner and go back to interlaken ost, which is our home base. As i've said, we are booked in Bellevue Hotel for 5 days. We are planning to buy the swiss pass in the airport as suggested by you guys (thanks!).

bern
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: jungfrau

Hello,

Think of the journey as a clock face with the Jungfraujoch at 12:00,Lauterbrunnen at 3:00, Interlaken at 6:00, and Grindelwald at 9:00. If you wish to visit all in one day, from Interlaken, I would advise travelling one-way around the circle, either clockwise or anticlockwise. If you are thinking dinner in Grindelwald, then it will have to be anticlockwise. i.e Lauterbrunnen, Jungfraujoch, Grindelwald, interlaken.

I know there are those who see lauterbrunnen as paradise on earth but for me personally, about an hour and a half is plenty. Walk from the station up through the village, down the hill past the church for the photo opportunity of the church with waterfall in the background, bus from the bottom of the hill to trummelbach falls, a quick beer at the trummelbach restaurant and bus back to the station for the mountain train up to the scheidegg.

If you were to leave interlaken earlyish, you would still have plenty of time for a full visit to the j.f.joch. Dont leave it too late to go up as it is not unheard of for the clouds to come in in the early afternoon. You wont have any trouble finding something to eat in grindelwald. All in all it sounds like a good plan for a day trip.

Have fun,

cheers

robert

north jersey
Level Contributor
209 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jungfrau

roberthome,

thank you for your info! So, we'll plan to spend the morning in jfjoch and have a late lunch in LB, then take a train to grindelwald. But do you think it's better to walkdown from LB to Murren and go to grindelwald another day? We want to spend a leisurely walk in these places, you know... explore and breath the air. Also, what would you suggest for a Boat ride? and from Where? and what is the timeframe involve in that. How about dollars? Our homebase is Interlaken.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jungfrau

Since you have a Swiss Pass the boat rides will be free.

north jersey
Level Contributor
209 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jungfrau

tmynatt,

Thank You. Would it take a half day? Shall we take it from Interlaken?

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jungfrau

Timetables and prices (in pdf format) for the BLS ships on Lake Thun and Brienz is at: http://www.bls.ch/schiff/fahrplan_e.html

Timetables for the steam ships is at: www.bls.ch/schiff/fahrplan_dampf_e.html

The DS Lötschberg departs Intelaken Ost to Brienz at 11:10 and 14:10. It runs daily until September 4th.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jungfrau

batutay: Since the boats are part of the Swiss Transportation System (like trains, gondolas, funiculars, etc) you can just go to www.sbb.ch and type in Interlaken as your departure point and, for example, Brienz which is on Lake Brienz. SBB will show you various times of the trips and transportation methods...boats, trains, etc. Just choose the one with trains and show up at the correct time. Yes, catch the boat from Interlaken.

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jungfrau

PS if you still confused then just ask at the Interlaken station or Lauterbrunnen station when you get there. They will tell you exactly when and where to be and will even print the entire itinerary for you. The rail station employees are nice and usually eager to help...don't forget tourism drives Switzerland's economy.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: jungfrau

Here are a couple of options: Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen (no need to spend more than 1 hour there, unless you take the round trip to the Truemmelberg Falls, quite impressive), Wengen, Kleine Scheidegg, Jungfrau, back to Kleine Scheidegg, train to Grindelwald, and back to Interlaken.

If you are a hiker that can stand bit of uphill hiking in high altutude, you could hike from the Kleine Scheidegg to the gondola station on the Mennlichen, take the gondola down to Gmund, pick up the train there to Grindelwald (about 10 minutes ride). People usually do tyhe hike in the reverse, Maennlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. The trail is wide and gentle.

Regardless how you get there, in Grindelwald try to take the gondola lift up to the First (pronounced "feerst", not like our 1st). Spectacular views of mountains and parasailors taking off.

bern
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: jungfrau

Hello again,

I can suggest a wonderful destination for a boat trip on the lakes. Go to Giessbach, which is a Belle Epoque hotel on the lake Brienz, magnificent views, the terrace overlooks both the lake and a spectacular waterfall, you can drink a coffee, or eat there, there is a short walk that takes you behind the waterfall for the best photo opportunity. It is about an hour from Interlaken by ferry and the ferry takes you from there either to ringenberg or brienz for the train back (or return by the ferry). Ask at the tourist office for transport options or type in 'interlaken ost' and 'Giessbach see' on the sbb website for connections. There is a funicular from the lake up to the hotel. Well worth it.

cheers

Robert

Knoxville, TN
Destination Expert
for Interlaken
Level Contributor
4,759 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jungfrau

Yes, I second Giessbach Falls. The falls are nice as well as the old hotel. Also I think the funicular from the base to the hotel had a sign that said it was the oldest funicular in Switzerland. Does anybody else remember this?