We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snow :(

Cardiff
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Snow :(

I have a ski holiday booked for grindelwald and Wengen from the 14th December to the 23rd. My tour operator tries to convince me that the resort will be open by then but looking at the weather I'm not so sure.

Any opinions?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,245 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snow :(

Hi mcKechan,

I'm with you. I think that's too early for skiing. If you go to www.wengen.com, click on the big picture to get a photo of the conditions. Today the picture shows a snow-making machine sitting on a green meadow with the caption, "too warm to make snow." Also, underneath the picture, click on the "snow" link to see if any pistes are open.

Good luck!

s

Cardiff
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snow :(

Hi Thanks for the link.

Yes obviously I want don't want the holiday to be cancelled but I certainly don't want to spend a few hundred Euros for no skiing. I'm also a powder person so I even if they manage to get cold enough for the resort to open it probably wouldn't be ideal.

Let's say the temperatures got to -5C from now on. Could they make enough snow to open the resort by then in your opinion?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,245 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snow :(

HI again,

Hmm, I sure don't know. I live in the southest US and know absolutely nothing about snow-making.

One of our regular posters here has just posted on another thread that it's snowing in the mountains and everyone is headed there. You just need to find out where that is, LOL!! Maybe Zermatt or the Engadin. Zermatt usually always has skiing (because of the glacier), and the Engadin is at a higher altitude and gets more snow earlier than other resorts (I believe). So you may want to try those places.

Good luck!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,245 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snow :(

ps,

Go to this link (myswitzerland.com/en.cfm/home/wintervacation)

and at the bottom of the page, click on "snow reports." I selected "All Regions" and found that the runs are open at Davos & Klosters, at Glacier 3000, and at Saas Fee & Zermatt.

Good luck!

s

Cardiff
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snow :(

UNfortunately it is a complete package company so I the location will not change. Also I think the tour operator is reluctant to cancel even though the conditions look bad. If I cancel myself, I get no money back!

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snow :(

I just returned Sunday from Switzerland and I suggest you pray. Wengen, Grindewald, Lauterbrunn showed no signs of opening. Snow line was about 5000 feet and that was just a dusting. We went through the alps from gruyere to montreaux and same thing, temps were in the 40's even around 5500 feet, made for nice snow ball throwing around les mosses but other than that it doesn't look good. It was funny being in a very dead and quiet Wengen thinking they were going to be having ski racing in 6 weeks. My 5 year old loved the playground in wengen though and it was nice and warm.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snow :(

hmmm I just phoned the operator and the lady who answered the phone was like

"Oh no you'll be fine. I just googled the area, there was loads of snow!"

I think she is having me on. To be exact we are stayin in Lauterbrunnen and I think ski the whole Jungfrau region. Is there any chance she was right.

She even said some of the runs are open already! I don't think that is true either!

I have a feeling they are going to make us go whatever the snow conditions :(

Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
258 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snow :(

here you can see for yourself. hopefully things change for you int he next two weeks and they could but it is very warm right now int he whole region. We had around 60F in lausanne on saturday. you can ice skate at the christmas fest in montreaux though, we did.

http://www.wunderground.com/ski/SW_99/

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,941 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snow :(

Here is a summary of the info I was able to find for today from several sites around the area: Snow amounts:

Wengen-(approx 4500 ft.) none.

Kleine Scheidegg-(approx 7000 ft) 1 cm.

Mannlichen- (approx 7500 ft) 1 cm.

Murren- (approx 5500 ft) 0 cm.

Schilthorn- (approx 9800 ft) 10 cm.

As you can see there's not much. I'm not sure what snow your friend was referring to but I can't sem to find it. It may be a while before the skopes are ready.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
6 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Snow :(

yeah to be honest I was pretty certain I am right about the conditions. I just have to convince my tour operator to cancel if they remain the same.

Thanks for all your replies

Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald