We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald Transportation

Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Grindelwald Transportation

Hi!

I am traveling from Montpellier, France to Grindelwald. I want to visit the Top of Europe and do the First Flyer experience. For these two experiences do you have to book ahead or is it easy to pay for when you arrive?

The trouble that I am having while trying to arrange everything for this trip is I find it hard to book trains ahead of time in Switzerland. Is this something I should not be worried about? Should I just arrange my transportation there and just work out the way back (which I need to get back to Paris CDG) when I arrive in Switzerland? What is the best website to visit for the train information? I have visited sbb.ch but sometimes have trouble with it staying in English.

I will have a Euro Rail Select Pass that includes Switzerland but do I still need to purchase a Swiss Pass? If the Euro Rail Pass applies what is the range of cost for a train?

Thank you for any advice you can offer!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald Transportation

Hi Ashley

Top of europe & First Flyer are best booked on the day (you need to watch the weather if nothing else!).

This website gives good info on trains in europe (the author is also a TA contributor)

http://www.seat61.com/Europe-train-travel.htm

Easton, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,131 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald Transportation

The Eurrail pass will not cover Jngfraujoch It does offer a 25 percent discount on the entire Jungfrau network.

jungfrau.ch/en/… (then click on discounts and Eurrail)

I do not believe there is a discount on the First Flyer Ride for Eurrail pass.- perhaps others will verify?

Definitely, do not purchase tickets for any excursion in Jungfrauregion or mountain area in Switzerland until the morning you want to do. If the weather is inclement you will be paying a lot of money for no views!

WIth a eurrail pass you will need reservations for the TGV trains to Switzerland-Paris-Switzerland but no need for reservations in Switzerland.

Given the fact that you already have a Eurrail pass, it probably would not be beneficial to then purchase a swiss pass- however, you are the one who really needs to do the math.

For Train schedules see www.sbb.ch

Good Luck

Edited: 2:21 am, June 17, 2015
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald Transportation

Hi

Looking at the jungfrau timetable, there are no discounts at all for the First Flyer itself (27 CHF or 19 for 15 & under). However, the map Marb attached shows you get your 25% of the cable cars to get there.

If the eurail pass gives you train travel in Switzerland, then the swiss pass is probably not a good deal because you won't get full benefit. There are a couple of local passes which maybe useful, depending on length of stay and what else you plan to do.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grindelwald Transportation

In Switzerland you don't book trains in advance, just turn up and get on the next train.

India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grindelwald Transportation

One more suggestion !

The earlier you book your Switzerland (Geneva/Lausanne/Basel/Interlaken) to Paris ticket, cheaper it will be. It's like airline tickets - as the date of departure approaches, the ticket gets costlier.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grindelwald Transportation

As others have said, there is no need to buy in advance, and several disadvantages in doing so, including the weather. You need a clear day to do the Jungfraujoch top of Europe trip. If its cloudy or raining, there's no point in going up at all.

Also if you haven't yet bought your pass, reconsider your need for it. A Eurail pass is no longer the good flexible option it once was, and will certainly cost you a lot more than you could pay. Check out Trip Advisor's train travel forum (tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12483-Train_Tr…) and search for Eurail there. Also look at the man in seat 61 site mentioned in reply #1. You'll soon come to realize that this pass is not a good investment, and can be more trouble than its worth. This is particularly true for travel in France; a country that's particularly pass unfriendly.

And while the information in reply #5 does not apply if you have a pass, it is certainly good advice if you decide you would be better off without that pass.

7. Re: Grindelwald Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 18, 2016