We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grindelwald in September 2014

Which Grindelwald hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Grindelwald in September 2014

I do not ski or hike. Where in Grindelwald would be the best view, what hotel or b&b? This will be my first trip to Switzerland and I have heard that Grindelwald is the place to go in Switzerland. I would like to go to Lucerne before or after Grindelwald. Any ideas?

W. Palm Beach, FL
Destination Expert
for Murren, Interlaken, Bernese Oberland
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grindelwald in September 2014

Not to contradict whomever told you that Grindelwald is the place to go but there are several other choices in the area that I would recommend first. In September there is no skiing but there is considerable hiking/walking that can easily be done from many villages in the area. Even for a person who doesn't consider herself a hiker. In and around the mountain villages there are many easy walks that will let you enjoy the great mountain scenery without much effort.

Personally I would recommend Wengen as a great place for someone that is looking to have the great Alpine experience. Wonderful scenery from a carfree village right in the heart of the Alps. Many hotels have great views from the rooms or balconies. In September you should also get to enjoy the start of the fall leaves turning too.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grindelwald in September 2014

Thank you for your reply. From Milan Malpensa airport, head to Ticino (Lugano and Lake Maggiore for 2 or 3 days), then to Gimmelwald or Wengen for 2 or 3 days (Berner Oberland), then to Lucerne for 2 or 3 days. I do not ski or hike. I want to see the beauty of the swiss mountains, alpine villages, and beautiful scenic lakes. Please help.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
1,765 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Grindelwald in September 2014

I would forget Gimmelwald if you don't hike. It's a very small, no more than a few chalets, and a cable car station just below Murren. I would suggest Murren as a better place to stay.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grindelwald in September 2014

What is the difference between Murren and Wengen? Which of the two?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
415 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grindelwald in September 2014

Both are great places to stay,but as it is your first visit,I would choose Wengen as it is easier to go in different directions from there. From Wengen,You will probably want to make the easy trip down to the Lauterbrunnen Valley and up to Murren on the other side of the valley on one of your days,but you can also easily access Kleine Scheidegg,Mannlichen, Grindelwald,Schynigge Platte,lake Brienz,etc etc from Wengen.have a look at this map to give yourself a feel for the two villages and transport to them .

…worldcdn.net/wp/…Jungfrau_Map_895.jpg

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grindelwald in September 2014

Thank you for your reply. Wengen it is. What are your recommendations on what to do, where to stay, the best location in Wengen where I can see it all. Maybe 2 days in Wengen? From Wengen, how to go to Lucerne? Please help.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grindelwald in September 2014

Wengen is small, and most places will have views of the mountain and the beautiful Lauterbrunnen Valley. It's car free, but easy to walk everywhere.

From Wengen you can visit Grindelwald, Murren and Lauterbrunnen quite easily: they're all really close together. To get to Lucerne you just hop on the train down to Lauterbrunnen, change there for Interlaken, then catch the Golden Pass train to Lucerne. Every bit of this trip is a scenic delight, and the changing of trains is far easier than it sounds.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grindelwald in September 2014

September is the best month to visit Grindelwald. you can get the view from the Grindelwald first. Best B&B is Bel-Air-Eden. It is near to the Grindelwald train station may be 200 mts. the brakfast is also very good there. Go to Lucerne after Grindelwald as i have done. Take the golden pass express from Interlaken to Lucerne. Very beautiful views during the train journey. There is a Chinese Restaurent in the village,try ti,very delicious food. Message me if you want any other information. I have visited Grindelwald in Sep,2013.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grindelwald in September 2014

I will be arriving from Milan Malpensa airport. I want to stay a few nights at Stresa to visit the italian lake district. From Milan, I will take a train or fly to Lucerne. From Lucerne, I will take a train to Wengen and visit Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen. I want to go to the Black Forest in Germany, and I have to go to Hamburg. Any suggestions on this itinerary? Thank you.

Edited: 3:12 pm, January 31, 2014
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Grindelwald in September 2014

We are visiting in June. My wife and I love to trail run. Is it fair to say all of these areas can be 'fast hiked' to one another in a fairly short time? Would you know the distance between say Murren and Gindelwald (Wengen is in middle of that trip looks like)?

Then running down to Interlaken from say either Murren or Wengen looks also to be less than 10K?

If this is the case, seems we could find the right mix of location/hotel cost/ability to have trails to other villages/and fun beer drinking spots for the evening - versus convenience to trains/trams. Thanks for the help

Edited: 4:01 pm, February 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Grindelwald